armchair BEA: interview

04 June 2012

With me! Hello everyone :)
   As part of this event, I'm to choose out of ten questions, five to answer. I reckon I'll bore you all with my answers. I'll keep them as concise as I can :D

Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging?

I'm Kirthi, an introverted teenage book blogger. I've been blogging for nearly four years now! How did it all start, you ask? My friend Nathan and I were global warming activists in our own, young way. We thought that we could bring awareness by starting a global warming blog, which we did. First, we went to the obvious: blog.com, and realised it was a failure. So we moved to blogspot. And after blogging quite a lot on global warming issues, I thought that I should make my own blog, but about something I enjoy personally: reading. I wanted, at first, to just log and keep record of the books I read and whether I enjoyed them or not. Then I realised there was a whole community of bloggers, hundreds! And then joined into that community. 


What is your favorite feature on your blog (i.e. author interviews, memes, something specific to your blog)?

I really enjoy my topic posts. They're posts in which I pick a book related topic and just discuss it. Like "series or sequels" and "unbearable books" and "vampires" I post them to bring to light certain subjects that are not often discussed in the book blogging community. These topic posts allow me the opportunity to show readers a problem, my views on this problem, and then allow other opinions through comments. It's something that's only on my blog, though other blogs may do something similar with different titles or concepts.

If you could eat dinner with any author or character, who would it be and why?

Dead or alive? I'm only joking! It's be J.K. Rowling, for the author dinner. She's my inspiration to write. With her origins in a coffee shop writing on the backs of flyers to becoming a successful, world renowned author: she's brilliant. J.K. Rowling  believed in her writing, and it got her far. Just speaking with her for five minutes would be enough for me, haha :)

What literary location would you most like to visit? Why?

It may sound ridiculous compared to other fantastical locations, but I'd visit Oxford. The campus is BEAUTIFUL, with old buildings and a uni where many great writers attended. And close to Oxford is the city of London, which is beautiful as well, in it's misty, rainy weather and classical locations, like Baker Street (Sherlock Holmes) and Foyles Bookshop (London's oldest bookshop) There are hundreds of other locations I'd go to afterwards, but I'd start of with Oxford and London!

What is your favorite part about the book blogging community? Is there anything that you would like to see change in the coming years?

random happy reading giraffe :)
My favourite part is the sense of...community! The way that bloggers support each other and come together with a love of books. It's a place where people who share a common interest immerse themselves in a passion for reading. I like to compare it to a network support group, where someone has always got another's back, in a sense. 

I've witnessed many changes in this community. The abrupt rise of affiliates, the button crazy moment where it was all about getting others to post one's blog button on the other's blog. The extravagent giveaways era where ridiculously incredible giveaways were hosted (I guess it's died down with people not having so much money as they once had). As to what I'd like to see changed? The communication.
 There are some blogs where comments are abundant, and others where there are none. And comments have got to be meaningful to me, to show me that someone has actually read my post, and has contributed is or hers own opinion. I want discussions and thoughts in comments, not just "Great review!" and such. For those whose blog's I have commented on, you'll know how much thought I like putting into comments. Yes, so that's what I would want to see change! It's like that follower concept. I was never really into getting more followers, but put my energy in making quality posts for my existing followers. Anyway :)

I believe that's the end of my five questions. I hope you've enjoyed your visit here :) Happy reading and enjoy visiting other blogs: I know I will!

19 thoughts:

  1. Totally agree about everything you said in the last question (except for witnessing changes, since I haven't been blogging nearly as long as you)! I love comments that prompt or continue discussion. I love all comments, and enjoy knowing someone came to visit, but it's nice being able to tell they read the post :-)

    And dinner with J.K. would be fabulous, except I'd probably just dissolve into an incoherent puddle of goo.

    Pleased to meet you, and thanks for stopping by my Armchair BEA Intro Post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comments are much desired and loved thing for all bloggers! I wish more people were willing to leave meaningful ones!

    Visiting Oxford/London would be so lovely! It'd be great to find a lovely spot and get some reading in and walk around and explore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story of how and why you started blogging, that's so special.

    I guess changes are a normal thing, but sometimes it's not always so easy to deal with them.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my post!

    The more I think about it, the more I think I'd probably just drool if I met J.K. Rowling. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to string two coherent words together! At least she'd know that I'm a superfan, I guess...

    And Oxford!! It's one of those places that I simply MUST visit someday.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I haven't really cared about follower numbers, either. I don't get as many comments, but the ones I do get are so meaningful.

    Hope you have fun with Armchair BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me it's about the quality of comments as opposed to the quantity of them, and that is why I no longer participate in blog hops.
    London is definitely a great city for book lovers -- I hope you are able to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you about the "crazes" that have gone through blogging. Do you remember the "awards craze" that was intense as well. I also completely agree that we need better communication & interaction. I'm glad you joined ABEA! Tattooed Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello Kirthi! I think it's so cool the way you started book blogging. Oxford sounds lovely. I always say I want to go to England for the bookshops. I even went to London last year but didn't get to go to a bookshop. :( It was lovely to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that exact giraffe on a t-shirt!! I love to see teens being ambitious and blogging about their love of reading! I love to read discussion posts, so I will definitely be checking out yours! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oxford is someplace I would like to visit too - especially after reading about it in A Disvovery of Witches. And love what you said about the community of book bloggers - and also about commenting. I for one agree with reciprocating when someone takes the time to visit my little internet spot :-)

    Tanya
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Baker Street would be an amazing destination, especially if you could just walk into the flat and have a convesation with the man.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was to London once, but I didn't get the opportunity to do many bookish things, unfortunately. It's so much fun, I'd love to go back!

    I'm with you in wanting meaningful comments that show people are actually engaged with what you're posting. I do my very best to write them even if sometimes it means I don't get to visit as many blogs as I'd like because I'm taking the time to write "quality" comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd really love to visit Baker Street as well, but London in general would be amazing. I'm still hoping I'll get my trip sometime!

    I agree about the comments as well! I love to see that many have viewed a post, but to see them taking the time to actually comment on my post, is a wonderful feeling! The longer, the more awesome. ;) (Well, usually, haha!)

    Thanks for stopping by! It was nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your answers! especially how your blog came to be.

    London is high on my 'places to visit' list - one day ;)

    http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/armchair-bea-introduction.html

    It's nice to 'meet' you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Baker Street would be fab to visit! I hear they have a Sherlock Holmes museum there. I actually lived in London for a few weeks and never visited it. I know, I fail at being a tourist. I did visit the Charles Dickens Museum, though.

    It's lovely to meet you and I hope you have fun during Armchair BEA.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kirthi (neat name, btw)! I think it's soo cool you started out blogging by starting a global warming blog! Also? That giraffe picture is so darn cute :) I totally hear you on the meaningful comments. I want like, discussions going on in my comments. It's hard to get people to do that!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, I hope to see you around this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all you answers! When I started blogging, I was looking to gain followers like you were saying, but now I'm blogging so I can look in my email and see my friends incredible and funny comments that make me happy. Thanks for stopping by my Best of 2012!
    I always loved London and wished I could live in sherlock's holmes era. I went to London last summer and was amazed at how much I adored their open door markets!
    Nice to meet you! Hope to read many more of your blog in the future!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  19. I SO agree with you about commenting - it means so much more when you get thoughtful comments rather than just "great review. here's mine." or something like that!

    I've noticed trends in the blogger community too, it's funny and interesting to watch - I'm sort of fascinated by psychology and that sort of thing haha

    I love how you got into blogging, I didn't really start book blogging when I began either, I had/have a personal blog on blogger and got to doing that regularly and realized I was sort of addicted :D

    I hope you have a fantastic ABEA week and hope to see you around the blogosphere more often :D

    -April @ My Shelf COnfessions

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger