review: cinder

22 December 2011

book info:
ages: 13 and up
grades: 7 and up
on sale: January 3rd 2012
copy from: Feiwal and Friends
pages: 387

title: Cinder
author: Marissa Meyers
stars: 3.999


{Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. }


my thoughts:
Wow, I was really interested that the main character would be half robotic. Now that's something you don't see often. It reminded me of one of my favourite books, Eden by Keary Taylor, where the main character Eve is mechanical as well. Contrary to the allusion I just made, Cinder is different in aspects. It takes place in China and the people are Chinese (not Caucasian!) and Cinder isn't a perfect girl with a perfect life. She grows in the "slums" working as a freaking mechanic. Her foot is taken from her! I mean, this is a great start to the Lunar Chronicles!

characters: Cinder is amazing. I can relate to her, and she makes sense. Unlike lots of teen fiction where the females are all confused and everything. Similar characters to Cinder are Eve from Eden and Lena from Delirium: female heroines whom I loved.

plot: It takes a while for one to get to the actual meaning of the book, but once the plot kicks off, it goes great. I was patient enough to understand who the heck Lunars were and what situation they were in with "Earthlings" And once I got that, I learned that the plot was pretty good.

style: I love the simplistic, but still detailed enough style of writing Meyer writes in. It's not gushy like, his dark set eyes were deep and beautiful, so much that she lost herself in them. Her heart was beating like a hummingbird's wings, and she was so nervous....yeah, not like that. It's concise and to the point, like the character Cinder. Great style ^_^

overall: Wonderful! I de-rated it due to the fact that near the ending, it clipped off into the second book. It would've done great as a stand-alone. Also, the story seemed a little strange and far-off, not what I'm used to. Too much techy stuff as well. Other than that, it's recommended! 

1 thoughts:

  1. Hi Kirthi! I've been meaning to read this one. But I'm afraid other books have captured my interest. But I'm glad that you like this one. The concept is really unique for me since I haven't read anything about androids yet! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger