review: catching jordan

28 November 2011

book info:
ages: 13 and up
grades: 7 and up
on sale: NOW
copy from: Sourcebooks
pages: 281

title: Chatching Jordan
author: Miranda Kenneally
stars: 3.9





What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though - she leads them as the captain and quarterback on her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starring position on the team... and has her suddenly wishing to be seen as more than just a teammate.

"Ugh" Ty says, "Are you really a girl?" (Kenneally 87)

my thoughts:

It's not a very common idea for a story, and I like how Miranda chose such an idea and worked on it. However, I recognise this idea from another book by one of my favourite middle-grade authors (I was still an avid reader when I was younger and read higher level books, so she might be considered a young adult author) Catherine Gilbert Murdock. Yes, I actually memorised her name! I have a habit of doing that with titles and authors: but to the point. Catherine wrote a novel called Dairy Queen, about a teenage girl joining the small town's football team with a father who was cold-heartily against it. It's uncannily familiar to this one...a little too familiar. HOWEVER!

All ideas for fiction come from some where and more often than not, it's from another novel (nowadays) and as an aspiring author myself I understand that if one likes an idea, and REALLY likes it, than it's bound to be similar. So I'm not marking down on that (purely because this is such a rare idea for a story in YA lit)

Back to the actual novel itself. Yeah, a football team is large so there's got to be a load of people to introduce. Maybe it's just me, but there was a lot of characters introduced too fast and I hadn't a clue who was who. JJ, Carter, Lacey Henry, Mike, Kristen, Ty AHHH!

characters: Jordan herself is a nice character and I understand her decisions, but it wasn't the epitome of epic characterisation. Still, it was pretty good.

plot: Quite unexpected and well written out. Great job on that!

style: Not evident, but I did enjoy the poems slapped inside every chapter or so. That was stylish ^_6

overall: A great read!

1 thoughts:

  1. Dear Kirthi,

    As much as I love your book reviews and reading them, I really miss your normal posts. I'm sure you are busy (because I am too; way too busy that is), but if you have a little extra time, I hope you remember this comment and post something besides a book review like you used to! I still love your blog, I check it pretty often in vain hope of finding something I maybe have missed before. Maybe one day I'll come on here and see some more posts :)

    Roma <3 :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger