the danger of a SINGLE STORY

28 September 2011

I really enjoy my AP Human Geography class. It's enriching and eye opening about many of the global issues in the world and is the one class I look forward to every day.

What is Human Geography?
The study of the physical landscape and human interaction. It's mainly to do with human society. Or a more pro definition:  Human geography is the study of the many cultural aspects found throughout the world and how they relate to the spaces and places where they originate and then travel as people continually move across various areas.

a single story on Isreal
The Danger of A Single Story:
I had to watch this video for AP Human about a speech by Chimamanda Adichie on "The Danger of A Single Story" and answer: "Why do you think I wanted you to watch it?" and/or "Have you ever been a victim of a single story?" We'll continue that later, but right now, you must have one big question.

What does this have to do with reading?
Allow a section of my essay on this to explain and some more later.

"It was a good choice to make the class watch this video because it’s a very eye-opening, important video that talks about “The dangerous of a single story” as what Chimamanda Adichie describes as to “Show a people as one thing, only one thing over and over again, and that is what they become” (Adichie) It shows that what we hear on the news, the stories that we hear are only one side of the story, and the other, less publicised It’s a significant video because it makes one become aware of their mistakes, and the mistakes of others, and makes one think about their way of thinking, the way one can automatically assume that one story about a person or group of people defines them, and is the only story, the single story."-----Kirthi Rao


What the heck am I talking about?



How does this apply to YA?
Now that you've read and understand what I had been talking about, we can discuss how it applies to YA Lit. Fiction and nonfiction shape the way the world see's certain things. Media is very important, and feeds our minds. I have gained nearly no valuable knowledge by reading YA, except for the occasional book or two that gives me food for thought. Even historical fiction is 75% fiction and 25% historical fact. I mean, I actually kind of want to read non fiction (not biographies on stupid "stars" and their boring, not important lives) but cultural books. I mean, is there even such thing as YA Non-Fiction

1 thoughts:

  1. Hmm, I don't think that you gain nothing from reading even the fluffiest of books. Most of them are still engaging you with complex ideas and allowing you to either conform or break away from the narrative (I should say life, but I say narrative because it's rather artificial) that we're told we should conform to.

    Books are a wonderful, subliminal way of learning. I think I've learned more from reading (fiction and non-fiction) than I ever have from school! (Although this human geography class sounds pretty interesting. Almost like anthropology with a global perspective).

    As to YA non-fic -- I think it exists! I've seen some of it on netgalley. Biographies of people and such. And why not try out adult non-fic? I really love reading books on sociology, personally :)

    Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger