review: tiger's curse

30 June 2011

book info:
pages: 400
ages: 13 and up
grades: 7 and up
on sale: now
copy from: Sterling Children's Books

title: Tiger's Curse
author: Colleen Houck
stars: 4



The last thing 17-year old Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.

my thoughts:
"Ren scowled at me. 'I lived in zoos and circuses for centuries, remember? And I don't...eat...monkeys!"

YAY! A book about Indians! They're the least heard of nowadays in YA books, so this is like, heaven for me. I got a real kick out of reading it, especially all the myths and cultural stuff, because I'm Indian myself and it all makes sense. To the normal reader, this book is amazing. But because I'm Indian I have to point out some...irregularities. First, well, a god appears in the book to help Kelsey on her quest. The god (Durga) makes a physical appearance. I kind of found that insulting. It's like Allah making a physical, body appearance or Christ making a physical body appearance to help on breaking a measly human curse.  Yeah, so that part kind of put off. At least she didn't speak. Oh that would've been like "what?!" But you know, in the myths and legends on India back in the day, the gods did come down to Earth to give boons to deserving people etc... but still. Those are simple, folk tales. Oh gosh, I sound like a blubbering fool. Let's get on with the review, shall we?

characters: Kelsey was really unique, and hilarious, and well, realllly sarcastic and practical. She wasn't shy and afraid of guys, and she wasn't afraid to get dirt on her pants.  She's a tough, awesome heroine that should be a model for other characters! Ren was, well he was human. I loved how he had flaws just like everyone else, and that his flaw was that he had a bad temper. He was really cute too, and old-fashioned and polite, and a regular, confused man in love. His relationship with Kelsey is really entertaining, almost like bickering siblings, but I think it's a perfect example of a lover's quarrel.

theme: A regular girl from Oregon is thrust into a series of quests in order to lift an ancient Indian cursed placed on the man/tiger she loves.

plot: interesting.

style: definitely style. There's this humorous, sarcastic, and detailed way of writing that makes the story much more thrilling than a normal thriller. I totally loved it!

overall: Wow! Tiger's Curse is an amazing book that I really enjoyed. Read it, guys, because I recommend it! ^_^

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger