Review: instructions for a broken heart

15 May 2011

title: instructions for a broken heart
author: kim culbertson
stars:2.9
summary from goodreads
review by kirthi
pages: 292


Three days before her drama club's trip to Italy, Jessa Gardner discovers her boyfriend in the costume barn with another girl. Jessa is left with a care package from her best friend titled "Top Twenty Reasons He's a Slimy Jerk Bastard," instructing her to do one un-Jessa-like thing each day of the trip. At turns hilarious and heartwrenching, Instructions for a Broken Heart paints a magical Italy in which Jessa learns she must figure out life-and romance-for herself.
my thoughts:

   The idea of this kind of reminds me of Maureen Johnson's 13 Little Blue Envelopes, but I enjoyed this a little bit more. The beginning was abrupt, without a decent introduction. It's one of those beginnings where the names of people (characters) are mentioned and you have no idea who they are. But as the story progressed, I got a good idea of what was happening and who everyone was, though it was a bit hazy at first. The events were abrupt as well, and to me, I just thought a whole lot of the book was rushed, and not very enjoyed because. 



 Also, as you can tell from the summary, the story starts off with boyfriend trouble, and the entire time Jessa's in Italy, it's about romance. Well, I mean, what do you expect from a young adult novel, but what I meant was: Jessa and the whole story was over-dramatic in aspects and focused a lot over a boy. Having never dated, I wouldn't know, so this may just be hypocritical of me. 


All in all, I don't highly recommend this, but it's a good light read.

1 thoughts:

  1. I had hoped this one would be like Anna and the French Kiss but set in Italy. I have read some good reviews and some reviews where the reviewer thought the book was just okay. Maybe I will try to get it from the library in case I don't like it. I do enjoy reading books about Italy but if she spends all her time whining/obsessing over her breakup then it might ruin the scenery...

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger