review: Flawless

11 May 2011

title: Flawless
author: Laura Chapman
stars: 3
summary by goodreads
review by Kirthi
pages: 272

Sarah Burke is just about perfect. She's got killer blue eyes, gorgeous blond hair, and impeccable grades. There's just one tiny-all right, enormous-flaw: her nose. But even that's not so bad. Sarah's got the best best friend and big goals for print journalism fame.

On the first day of senior year, Rock Conway walks into her journalism class and, well, rocks her world. Problem is, her best friend, Kristen, falls for him too. And when Rock and Kristen stand together, it's like Barbie and Ken come to life. So when Kristen begs Sarah to help her nab Rock, Sarah does the only thing a best friend can do-she agrees. For someone so smart, what was she thinking? 



thoughts:


Hmm. I'll say that the entire time, I was horrified at Rock and Sarah and their misguided relationship. I kept yelling at them "No, you idiot!!! Don't do that!!!" "Ohmygosh, are you bloody serious?!" That sort of thing, and there are both positives and negatives on that. Positive: It keeps me reading. Negative: It's so hard to read mistakes! Positive: It's true. Negative: Mistakes on paper! Positive: The characters aren't perfect.


 Now what bothered me was that Sarah thought her only flaw was her nose. A physical trait. I mean, the fact that she felt so bad about that and made a big deal out of it. I understand a teen in that position, but then again, I don't worry so much on my looks as I do on myself. But then again, I guess a lot of my classmates would think this way.


 Now, the story. It made a wonderful point at the end, that left me smiling and thinking a lot, and that type of ending was worth reading some flaws in the book. Okay, now I know I can't write in paragraphs. Time for the old pros and cons list.


pros:
  • complete and wonderful ending moral
  • short, sweet situation with not too many complications
  • well put together story, whole and rounded
cons:
  • Sarah's best friends with her mom. Too many stories where that's happened.
  • Sarah thinks her only flaw is her nose. Seriously....
  • She has that super popular best friend who (in my opinion knowingly) took advantage of her

So the question is: would I recommend this?  Yeah, as a good light reading book. Is it a book you should buy? I'd say you should check it out at the library.
 

3 thoughts:

  1. HI Kirthi! Great review! Very justified. Yeah, I think you're right with the flaw thing. Like you, I can relate to the character but it seems...negative that she didn't notice other flaws in herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kirthi Thanks for the comment on my blog =)) Im loving your reviews too .Lately Im a bit slow at reading cos Ive got so much to do but I allways read a few pages before sleeping =)) so its good to be uptodate with the latest book news =))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, I have this one for review, though I haven't started it yet. Have you heard Cyrano de Bergerac? Because from your description, it sounds almost EXACTLY like it. And, yes, CdB was frustrating in all the misunderstandings, but I still enjoyed it because Cyrano is cool beans like that, haha. If you haven't read it yet, basically his love finally figures out Cyrano wrote the letters RIGHT before he dies. So yep, depressing right there.

    Anyways, great review! I agree that having a physical flaw as your greatest flaw isn't admirable, but, hey, it's an adaptation of CdB so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it. Glad it still left you with a smile! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger