Review: Shades of Atlantis

12 December 2010

title: Shades of Atlantis
author: Carol Oates
stars: 2
score:
summary: goodreads
review: Kirthi
pages: 307
recommended for: 14+

Since the death of their parents, Triona Pryor and her brother, Ben, have lived with their aunt and uncle in Camden, Maine. Now in her senior year of high school, Triona loves her family and friends, but she has always felt that she didn't quite fit in...in Camden, or anywhere else.

Enter Caleb Wallace, the devilishly handsome man who has recently moved to Triona's small town. While their attraction to each other is instantaneous, it also proves to be dangerous...and deadly.

When tragedy strikes, Triona flees to London for solace and to start her life anew. It's there she discovers from an unlikely source that her family has been keeping secrets from her - secrets about not only her birthright, but her ultimate destiny as well. Armed with this knowledge, Triona finds herself thrown into a whole new world and into a battle to save the lives of everyone she loves.

My thoughts:
  A supernatural romance. Sounds good, right? I really wanted to read and review this book, so I requested a copy of devoured immediately upon its arrival.
  I read  through it once, then twice to see if I was right. And I was. Shades of Atlantis is a cousin of the Twilight Saga. Oh don't groan! I don't compare everything to Twilight, really I don't. But I have to say it was nearly identical! Look, look:
  • bossy, overprotective hot supernatural guy 
  • needy, clingy "heroine" who's intoxicated by the guy
  • the guy has a totally gorgeous supernatural family
  • the guy leaves the girl for her own good
  • a nice funny guy friend wants to girl and hates the guy
  • the good funny guy gets rejected
  • the hot guy and his family embark on a mission
  • the girl becomes supernatural like her boyfriend
  • the hot guy wants to marry the girl....
AND I'M GIVING AWAY TOO MUCH! But what I'm saying is that Shades of Atlantis is a combo of almost all the events in the Twilight Saga.
 The Pros were:
  • good romantic scenes
  • detailed characters
  • nice writing, detailed and well formed structure.
I think it was disappointing. I was disappointed, really. So why didn't this get a 1? I'm not that mean. It was an 'okay' book, but not a total failure. I enjoyed it, really. Some scenes were amazing and are so quotable. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to quote though, since it hasn't been published.

1 thoughts:

  1. I guess everybody has to jump on the Twilight bandwagon...

    Since I didn't like the romantic scenes in Twilight and I thought the writing was juvenile at best, I wonder if I would like this one any better.

    Question: If you'd read this one first, do you think you would have liked it better than Twilight?

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger