Review: The Water Wars

06 November 2010


title: The Water Wars
author: Cameron Stracher
stars: 4
score: 50%
summary: my ARC and a bit by me
review: kirthi
pages: 256
reccomended for: 12 and up

Would you risk everything for someone you just met? What if he had a secret worth killing for?

Vera and her older brother, Will, live in a world where water is hoarded, rivers are damned, polar ice caps have melted and clouds are sucked from the sky. A world where water is more precious than gold or oil...
The Vera befriends Kai, a boy who seems to have limitless access to fresh water. When he disappears under mysterious circumstances, Vera and Will know the must find him. What they don't know is that they are being hunted themselves. Their search for Kai plunges them into a world driven mad by thirst--whose salvation hinges on one boy's survival.


MY summary: Vera watches a boy in awe as he drinks clean, fresh water from a plastic cup. He let one, single drop spill, on purpose, and was enough to shock Vera into an alliance. Where it led though, was as unpredictable as the world.

My thoughts: When I read the summary, I knew I had to read and review this book. With climate change as serious a threat to our world, this book was a necessity in the YA world overpopulated by paranormal and romance.

Factoid: "What is a Water War?"

"This is a term devised by environmentalists for a type of conflict (most probably a form of guerrilla warfare) due to an acute shortage of water for drinking and irrigation. About 40 per cent of the world’s populations are already affected to some degree, but population growth, climate change and rises in living standards will worsen the situation: the UN Environment Agency warns that almost 3 billion people will be severely short of water within 50 years. Possible flash points have been predicted in the Middle East, parts of Africa and in many of the world’s major river basins, including the Danube. The term has been used for some years to describe disputes in the southern and south-western United States over rights to water extraction from rivers and aquifers." --Michael Quinion, World Wide Words, 1996-2006.

link

Pros:
  • realistic situation
  • well thought out cause and effect
  • usage of popular landmarks in dystopian perspective
  • characters get hurt, ergo stronger
  • descriptive writing
Cons:
  • too short
  • not very developed characters
  • a little bit confusing
  • too fast of an ending
  • unrealistic in certain spots

The Pros and Cons balance out equally. The idea, I think, of this book isn't just for entertainment, but as a warning. A world like Vera's is very possible. The ice caps are melting, and climate patterns are slowly changing. It's very obvious!
The cover is, of course, one of the most beautiful covers of 2011. There's no sparkles, or gold, or flowers or pretty supermodels. There's a mysterious young girl with chapped lips, dry skin and that is bursting with tears (of hope?) of water.


Thanks for reading!

8 thoughts:

  1. Thanks for the review! This does look like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting concept. Water is predicted to be a scarce resource in the future, and books that serve as a warning can be an intriguing read. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'll have to read this book. The summary makes it sound very intriguing, and your opinion helped too! Definitely going on my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jealous! I've been REALLY wanting to read this one. Glad I saw your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is at the top of my wishlist for 2011. I am sorry to read that you found so many "cons," but I think it'll still be a worthwhile book to have in my classroom. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review.

    I've had my eye on this one for awhile, I can't wait for the release date!

    ReplyDelete
  7. . . . review . . . is okay.
    Book, not that interested.
    But check your grammar.
    -Deniz

    ReplyDelete
  8. This review made me thirsty. I have no choice now but to add this book to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger