Review: Hush

26 October 2010


title: Hush
author: Eishes Chayil
stars: 1
summary: goodreads
review: kirthi
pages: 368

Inside the closed community of Borough Park, where most Chassidim live, the rules of life are very clear, determined by an ancient script written thousands of years before down to the last detail—and abuse has never been a part of it. But when thirteen-year-old Gittel learns of the abuse her best friend has suffered at the hands of her own family member, the adults in her community try to persuade Gittel, and themselves, that nothing happened. Forced to remain silent, Gittel begins to question everything she was raised to believe.


my thoughts:
The summary does sound good, right? That's what I thought. The book, however, had very little to do with it. All I read were a bunch of Hebrew words strewn together in a poorly stabilized plot line. Since I'm not Jewish, a lot of this made little send.
But, it was very good in certain scenes with vivid, raw and emotional writing. Chayil's writing has style.
A Con? The name "Devory" is repeated a lot...and it got on my nerves, just slightly.
A Pro? This story shines a light on a neglected topic that needs some attention.


3 thoughts:

  1. I'm Jewish, yet I do not think that that would made it any more enjoyable. 1) I don't think you have to be exactly like the main character or anything to get the book. If the author used that too much, then it is a weak plot line and overdone details (in my opinion), 2)The cover and the summary do not look like they match (just a side note). 3) Sorry it was not pleasurable, but thanks for the review! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. . .. hmmm -ahahh its me again-
    my opnion:
    boring
    and i didnt even READ THIS
    hahahaha
    welllll . . . .
    it sounds like the authors copying the bible or something of the which
    and is making the people that stick to it brainswahsed
    and all of a sudden - a girl begins to question their life
    ohhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhh
    BORING!!
    i swear. i hate books like this
    where there is 1 - u heard me - 1 person who sees something out of the ordinary or is against something everyone else does
    JUST TO BE DIFFERENT!!
    ugghhhhhh
    boringggggggggggggg
    sorry
    i think i told too much of my opnion
    -DIDEM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Kirthi! Short but you pretty much summed up everything. I've been seeing this in lots of blogs. Mostly mix reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger