Review: Cate of the Lost Colony

07 September 2010

Title: Cate of the Lost Colony
Author: Lisa Klein
Pages: 336
Ages: 14 and up
Summary from Goodreads
Review by Kirthi
Stars: 3

The greatest unsolved mystery of American history--what happened to all the colonists who landed on Roanoke Island in 1587? This novel traces the fortunes and misfortunes of one Cate Archer, banished to Virginia by a jealous Queen Elizabeth because of her dalliance with Sir Walter Ralegh. What will be her fate in this dangerous New World?


My thoughts:
Ohmygosh, it's Lisa Klien! She once again "seamlessly weaved together fact and fiction" in her new book!
The cover is beautiful, with Cate smiling and thankfully, looking just as described in the book. Sadly, the finished copy cover isn't pretty. I like the ARC version

ARC version Other version


Which do you like?
I like the first once because it shows Cate's beautiful dress and the mysterious ship in the background, this deserves a lot of praise. One of the best covers on 2010!!! The second one's font looks a lot like Bree Despain's "The Dark Divine".

I was sure what to expect of this, I'm not really into American history (ha, and in class we happen to be learning about American history like the Civil War and Revolutionary War AND COLONIAL PERIOD)

Beginning: It could have been better. Cate reminded me of the typical "weak" female characters back in the 1500's. I kept screaming silently at Cate to not make bad choices, but she did. ^_^

Middle: Whoa. Whoa. WHOA! What just happened? Who are all these new people that just popped up out of nowhere? What's going on?
But as the storyline progressed, I understood (a little) of what was happening.

End: What?! I was shocked, but proud of Cate for making the right and best desicion that strongly supports feminism! Girl power! Good choice, ~applause~

Characters: Cate isn't my most favourite character. She gradually got better over the story. Walter Ralegh was romantic at first, but I didn't like him. Sure, he was sweet and all, but his eyes were always set on money and success. Manteo came in out of nowhere, but he was okay......

Overall: Not a must read, a nice lazy-afternoon read, more like it.

Conclusion: Colonial and well-written, Lisa Klein's new novel is another one to add to the library of great books she's written. Bravo!

7 thoughts:

  1. Sounds like a great book....
    I mean, if I have time I'll try to read it. I love your honest and down-to-earth reviews. They really help me choose what to read and what not to read! Are we, I mean we as in followers, allowed to send in requests? i.e. books we want you to review...just an idea...that's 3, er 4, ellipses...in one comment...5.

    =)

    But yes, awesome review for a good book that I just might read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both covers. Thanks 4 your review. I might read this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, I think that both covers are great - mostly because the model is gorgeous! Anyway, awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Like the first cover more too .Sounds like a good read =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the first cover the best. :)

    It sounds really interesting! I tend to like books about American History--even though the subject itself doesn't usually enthrall me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review. It really makes me want to read it. ^^

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a little sad that this wasn't AMAZING, but I'd still love to give it a try. I've always been fascinated by what might've happened at Roanoke.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger