Review: Return to Paradise

31 August 2010

Title: Return to Paradise

Author: Simone Elkeles

Stars: 4

Summary from Goodreads

Review by Kirthi

Pages: 291

Ages 13 and up

Maggie and Caleb just went through the worst year of their lives. Hit by a car and starting life over with a limp, Maggie never thought she would forgive Caleb. But she did-and fell in love. What they shared was real. But Caleb wanted to be free from the past-and a terrible secret: he wasn't the one who hit Maggie. So he left Paradise-and Maggie-forever.

When Maggie and Caleb run into each other in a different town, they can't deny their true feelings. Will Maggie let Caleb get away again? Or will Caleb face the truth and return to Paradise?

My thoughts:

Leaving Paradise, the first book, was emotionally heart-wrenching and unforgettable. I could only expect the best of Return to Paradise. But the cover is ugly, no offense. I expected Caleb to look different, and Maggie. They look like brother and sister on the cover, and it's so different from all of Simones' other books.

Beginning: Maggie and Caleb have this rough ground to stand on at the start, and the reactions towards each other are very realistic. Of course, Caleb gets in trouble ^_^

"Some people are damn lucky"

What a great way to start a book. (no sarcasm intended) It drew me into the book: a great hook.

Middle:

I look the guy straight in the eye. "I plead the fifth".

"You can't plead the fifth, Caleb", Damon says, "You're not in court"

Humorous and intense. The middle got kind of lengthy and a little too long, but it got the point across. And besides, the kissing scenes were very pleasant to read ^_^

End:

Very lovely and inspiring ending. It seemed a bit detached and lost, especially to the near end, but the events that happened were very very good.

Characters: Maggie is a stubborn and headstrong with sassy pants on tight. She isn't exactly my favourite character. I hear older men and guys say "Women are cold"

Maggie fits that common misconception.

Caleb is sarcastic, abrupt, loyal and very sweet deep inside. Damon is, like always, back-up, as are some of the new characters introduced. Like funny Lenny, of whom I concluded to be gay.

Overall: Good, fills in a lot of questions left over from the previous book. You don't have to read it, but it'd be a good idea if you do.

Conclusion: Raw and emotional and intense, Return to Paradise is an inspirational sequel to an equally amazing book, Leaving Paradise, that readers are sure to enjoy!


If you haven't read the first book, be sure to look out for a giveaway soon!


5 thoughts:

  1. Thanks for this review. It keeps falling off my radar but I do want to get it and read it. It's going to the top of my TBB list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be honest, I skimmed your review because I didn't want to see too much, as I haven't read the sequel yet...that said, I really can't wait now! I'm glad you think it was a worthy sequel because I really loved Leaving Paradise :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I really LOVE LOVE LOVED Leaving Paradise and have been waiting for this to come out. You're right about the cover: I pictured Maggie almost that way, but I pictured Caleb different. Not brown hair or that....sweet, vulnerable, innocence. More tough, raw, slightly troubled but hiding it, and innocent but in a different way....That doesn't make too much sense when you read it, but if you took a trip into my mind, then it would! And I appreciate the honest feedback. I'm surprised it wasn't a 5, but then again, I'm about to read it, so I'll see reason. And lastly, thanks for letting me borrow it!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, and O my word, I love your header!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so sad, but I've never read anything by this author! I should start with this series, though. It sounds so great, even though I'm not a huge fan of that cover!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger