Review: Other

05 July 2010


Title: Other
Author: Karen Kincy
Stars: 4.9Summary from Goodreads
Review by Kirthi
Pages: 326
Genre: Young Adult

Seventeen-year-old Gwen hides a dangerous secret: she’s Other. Half-pooka, to be exact, thanks to the father she never met. Most Americans don’t exactly roll out the welcome mat for Others, especially not the small-town folks of Klikamuks, Washington. As if this isn’t bad enough, Gwen’s on the brink of revealing her true identity to her long-time boyfriend, Zack, but she’s scared he’ll lump her with the likes of bloodthirsty vampires and feral werewolves.

When a pack of werewolves chooses the national forest behind Gwen’s home as their new territory, the tensions in Klikamuks escalate-into murder. It soon becomes clear a serial killer is methodically slaying Others. The police turn a blind eye, leaving Gwen to find the killer before the killer finds her. As she hunts for clues, she uncovers more Others living nearby than she ever expected. Like Tavian, a sexy Japanese fox-spirit who rivals Zack and challenges her to embrace her Otherness. Gwen must struggle with her own conflicted identity, learn who she can trust, and-most importantly-stay alive.Remove Formatting from selection


My thoughts:
I've been waiting forever for this to arrive in the mail! A finished copy from Flux, who kindly offered it for me to read! Based on the summary, I didn't think Other would be so good, but I was so wrong!

Beginning: Wonderful! The starting cut down right to the point and romance. Yummy, as in deliciously good, as in triple-chocolate whipped cream fudge sundae good.
Middle: SO. MUCH. DRAMA. AND. ACTION! Could I really stop reading it? Well I had to for lunch, but other than thank, Other had a choking grip on me!

End: A fair, shocking, betrayal-slapped ending that was satisfying and complete. Which is odd, because there are going to be two other books that follow.

Characters:Gwen:
Pro: She was strong, valued friendship; Didn't want to cry even when she ends up crying
Con: She cries; She lets guys mistreat her; She has two guys pining over her

Tavian: Hot Asian guy? YAY! I've seen mostly hot cocasion guys with no ethnic diversity, but seeing Asians in this book makes me happy. Plus, I have this general belief that all Asian teenagers have the best sense of humor, and not-surprisingly, Tavian fits into my belief. ~Swoon~

Zack: Sweet, weak, and using. Sure, he's charming, but he's weak! Nobody likes weak characters! Strength is an admirable quality that Zach lacks (hehe, that rhymes) However, he did have his moments!

Overall: Rich and satisfying, Other is unlike any other (haha) paranormal fiction novel: A delicious read that's hard not to love!
Conclusion: Must read!

Also, how do you like MY cover for Other? (below) I love designing covers! Photo Credit




9 thoughts:

  1. I so excited for this now after reading your review! You, by the way, are totally pro at making covers. I love that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting read and I always enjoy books when the have kitsune in them. I have been fascinated by them since I was a kid. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great book! I love your cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both the reviews I've read of this book so far have been very, very positive! Glad you enjoyed the book so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for entering. I think I already said that in another comment. But, that's Ok. =] Anyhow, I thought I'd let you know that have a total of 11 entries! WOW. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your cover! That lantern is awesome. And I definitely have to read this book now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your remade cover!

    I agree with you on how awesome Other was :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man I can't wait to read this! I've got it coming in the mail and wouldn't you know? It's taking flipping FOREVER to get here. I have such high hopes for this book. I'm glad to know you think so highly of it. *bounces*

    And LOVERLY cover! (yes, I misspelled that on purpose. XD) Great job with that graphic. :)

    -Amelia

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger