Review: Siren by Tricia Rayburn and MY cover for it!

14 June 2010

Title: Siren
Author: Tricia RayburnStars: 1.9
Summary from: Goodreads
Review by Kirthi
Pages: 344

Seventeen-year-old Vanessa Sands is afraid of everything—the dark, heights, the ocean—but her fearless older sister, Justine, has always been there to coach her through every challenge. That is, until Justine goes cliff-diving one night near the family’s vacation house in Maine, and her lifeless body washes up on shore the next day.
Though her parents hope that they’ll be able to find closure back in Boston, Vanessa can’t help feeling that her sister’s death wasn’t an accident. After discovering that Justine was keeping a lot of secrets, Vanessa returns to Winter Harbor, hoping that Justine’s boyfriend might know more. But Caleb has been missing since Justine’s death.
Soon, it’s not just Vanessa who’s afraid. All of Winter Harbor is abuzz with anxiety when another body washes ashore, and panic sets in when the small town becomes host to a string of fatal, water-related accidents in which all the victims are found, horrifically, grinning from ear to ear.

Vanessa turns to Caleb’s brother, Simon, for help, and begins to find herself drawn to him. As the pair try to understand the sudden rash of creepy drownings, Vanessa uncovers a secret that threatens her new romance—and will change her life forever.

My thoughts:
What a ghostly, haunting, scary cover! The font is kind of weird and I know that this cover is not so good (cough, awful, cough)I had no idea what to expect, but when I finished, the results weren't so pretty. Wanna know why?

Beginning: Too fast, confusing, and jumbled. I wasn't taking off to a good start.

Middle: Same as the beginning: fast, confusing and chunky. Tricia Rayburn introduced too many characters at such a quick rate that I had no idea who was who.
The plot wasn't interesting at all! The mystery and suspense: I just couldn't feel it. The idea was good, but the way it was written was ick. Also, the important events occurred to quickly, and the non-essential parts dragged on and on!

End: What the crap just happened? TOO FAST! Unsatisfying and mind-irritating!

Characters: I didn't know the characters, there was scarcely any characterization. Justine, Nessa, Simon, Caleb...they meant nothing to me. And the romance? It wasn't there! I felt that the love-interest didn't love Nessa for who she was but for how she looked like and for what she could give him (like help and all) Romance: No
Drama: Yeah.Suspense: NoEmpty characters?: Of course!
Uh...breeze-by read?: Yup.

Overall: Terrible, and boring: practically skimmed through the entire book!
Conclusion: I don't suggest this to anyone, and that's saying a LOT, this 1.9 rating is the lowest I have given any book!

Hardback cover:Other cover:Mine:


photo credit: Meditate, originally uploaded by AbiCorpus.

Personally, my cover and the Other (Roman?) cover is awesome, I hate the Hardback cover, too scary and review!



10 thoughts:

  1. I didn't like it either, Kirthi. I had high expectations for this one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts. I was so excited about this book. I will probably still read it anyway if I can get it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I actually love the cover to Siren. I've read a few mixed reviews on it so I don't think I'll be buying it. Maybe, eventually, I'll read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like it. I had high hopes for this one. Now, after reading a couple of reviews, I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll check out from the library someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be sure to stay away from this book after your review. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely like your cover better. There's too much face/neck in the others, and while the second cover is more colorful, it's too . . . purple and green. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cover is cute Kirthi! Okay, i finally understand what you were talking about in the email. Maybe the problem was that it was too fast paced.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shew! You're gonna need some ice for that burn, Siren!

    XD I thought the cover was intriguing and you're right, the story line (from the summary) seems promising. Now I'll have to see JUST how horrible this was.

    Great review (even if it was negative). :)

    -Amelia R.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cover is super scary! Purple eyes? And that look....
    The idea sounds really great, but I guess the writing was way less than that. I kinda want to know what the secret was and everything.....but I don't think I'll read the book. Great reviews though!!! =)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger