Black Book Weekend: Review of Perfect Chemistry

26 June 2010










As you can see, many great YA books all have black covers, especially vampire books (which I have chosen to not add) and paranormal books. Funny how that happens! But, there are some black books that are a long way from being counted as paranormal and vampire-ish, likkkeee Simone Elkeles books. Like: Perfect Chemistry!
____________________________________________Title: Perfect Chemistry
Author: Simone Elkeles
Stars: 5+
Summary from Goodreads
Review by Kirthi
Pages: 357

A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers.
When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more.
In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.


My thoughts:
I love it! Love, love, love, love, love to the very last page, this book! The Hispanic culture is fascinating and reading teen books on it is a gift, really, and Perfect Chemistry is like, the best gift! It fit all my highest standards:
Good Plot? Check
Detailed Characters? Check
Romance? Heck yeah, Check!

My friend, Rose Cunningham, generously let me borrow her copy, and I'm so glad she did! Don't you love how nice book-loving friends are? And no, I did not damage it. I hate how people damage my books when they borrow them. I'm just gonna say "no" or make up some excuse, as selfish as that sounds, but I love my books. Love. My. Books.

Beginning: Grabbing and enticing. I'm fond of when the narration switches between the two main characters, that way one can know what's going on on both sides, you know?

Middle: I know this sounds cliche, as I have used it many times, but I couldn't put Perfect Chemistry down! The storyline was intense and never stopped for boring breaks!

End: WHOPEE! What I call a "perfect" ending!

Characters: Dun Dun Dun! Brittany is a good character, but I personally find her prissy girly-girl personality degrading, she needs to toughen up her weak spots and stop relying on Alex.
Alex, on the other hand, is perfect with all his imperfections (that does not make any sense if you haven't read Perfect Chemistry) He's sensitive, yet strong and dangerous and he has this thick "don't mess with me" vibe going on. Bad boy so suites him!

Overall: Phenomenal! One of my favorite books read this year!
Conclusion: Must read! You have no choice, for with the power invested in me, I command you to read this!




7 thoughts:

  1. Lol. A very fun, very ecstatic review! Love the last line. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall read this as soon as possible, Captain! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more!I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love beastly, the hunger games, beautiful creatures and angel star.
    Great review on Perfect Chemestry. Heard so many wonderful things about it, really should get it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I haven't read this. It's not my normal type of book, but literally everyone who has read this book has fallen in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book to death - as corny as it is, it was such an amazing read!

    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome review! And you're welcome! Anytime! I loved it too! Great book, great review! =)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger