Reivew: Everlasting

30 May 2010


Title: Everlasting
Author: Angie Frazier
Stars: 4
Summary from Goodreads
Review by Kirthi

Sailing aboard her father’s trade ship is all seventeen-year-old Camille Rowen has ever wanted. But as a girl of society in 1855 San Francisco, her future is set: marry a man she doesn’t love, or condemn herself and her father to poverty.

On her final voyage before the wedding, the stormy arms of the Tasman Sea claim her father, and a terrible family secret is revealed. A secret intertwined with a fabled map, the mother Camille has long believed dead, and an ancient stone that wields a dangerous—and alluring—magic.

The only person Camille can depend on is Oscar, a handsome young sailor whom she is undeniably drawn to. Torn between trusting her instincts and keeping her promises to her father, Camille embarks on a perilous quest into the Australian wilderness to find the enchanted stone. As she and Oscar elude murderous bushrangers and unravel Camille’s father’s lies, they come closer to making the ultimate decision of who—and what—matters most.
My thoughts:
The cover is so lovely, especially the pale colors: blue and purple.

So what's not to love? Romance, betrayal, magic, and adventure! Not to mention sea and ships! Ever since I watched Pirates of the Caribbean, I've been drawn towards books about pirates and ships. Everlasting, sadly, does not have pirates. ~sigh~

Beginning: A sort-of fast introduction brining the reader into the setting of a story, like the start of the movie, where the camera drops in on a scene and setting. It was very smooth, the writing. Angie Frazier didn't introduce all the characters at once, but rather evenly brining the characters in, one by one. A good start to a promising book.

Middle: Like a road: straight but occasionally bumpy. I liked how everything moved at a pleasurable pace, and how the plot slowly unfolded like an un-rolling ma; one finds out more, the big picture.

End: Occurred quickly and made me devour the last pages. The outcome of events was surprising, but I loved it!

Characters: Yes! Jackpot! We have a winner! Camille, out heroine, was not weak and flimsy! She was strong and adventurous and brave!! A great example of how heroines should me. Camille trumps Nora (Hush, Hush), Grace (The Dark Divine), Luce (Fallen) and Bella (from-you-know-what-book)
There were some parts where Camille showed signs of failing her high-reputation, but she got right back up on her feet.
Oscar infuriated me, but he was so romantic! He wasn't my favorite love interest. I mean, he was evasive, mean (sometimes), and nosy. But he was Camille's love interest, and he was romantic at times, but I didn't like him as much as I could have.

Randall. Where have I heard that name before?
A Curse Dark As Gold- Elizabeth C. Bunce
In both Everlasting and A Curse Dark As Gold, the Randall's were both husband characters that the heroines didn't love. Randall could be a term used for arranged-marriage/engaged-whom-women-are-forced-to-marry.

Anyhow, I couldn't help but to point that out.

Overall: Satisfying, but lacking in some areas, but good overall.
Conclusion: An enjoyable read!

11 thoughts:

  1. I confess. I was drawn to read your review because of the book cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a really interesting story. I am glad to hear that the MC is a strong character. I enjoyed your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! I love a strong heroine! I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review!
    My thoughts very similarly mirrored your own, though, I gave EVERLASTING a full five stars. :)
    Love, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. fantastic review- so smart and well-written :) i'm really looking forward to reading this

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read this book now!

    I agree, the cover's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover is beautiful! And the story sounds wonderful. I'm definitely planning on reading this one. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I was planning to read this. The story sounds wonderful. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to hug this review. *virtual hug*

    Huzzah for a strong female character! To hell with the flimsy ones I say. I'll probably read this just because you seem to like Camille so much. I need another Katniss right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've passed on the Bodacious Book Bloggers award to you! Come collect it over here

    Also great review! I'm very intrigued by the sounds of Everlasting *adds to wishlist* :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited to read this! It's being shipped to me right now... thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger