Random Rambling! My choice in music and 303!

29 May 2010

So on my survey, a few people told me I needed to add some personal stuff on my posts. I have a review of Everlasting by Angie Frazier that I'll have up tomorrow though :D
So I've gotten all these great comments about my I-pod on my sidebar with Viva la Vida. I'm thinking about changing that to a different one, what do you think?

Music these days just isn't music anymore, not the music it once was. Now there's a bunch of trashy lyrics, ear-splitting drums and screeching, uncomprehending rap, and unusally over-repetition of the words "oh" "yeah" and "baby". I mean, what happened to the melodious music, flowing soft as time.

I prefer Classical and New Age. New Age can be described as "haunting" and "spiritual".
New Age:
This term, New Age describes a movement in western culture to explore spiritual matters without the constrains of any set religious doctrine. Known as the "New Age Movement", it contains many of the same elements found throughout different religions. New Age itself is not an actual religion, it is more of a conglomeration of many peoples "private" beliefs.
From Answers.com:


adj.
  1. Of or relating to a complex of spiritual and consciousness-raising movements originating in the 1980s and covering a range of themes from a belief in spiritualism and reincarnation to advocacy of holistic approaches to health and ecology.
  2. Of, relating to, or resembling New Age music.
n.
A style of modern music characterized by a relaxing or dreamy texture derived from quiet harmonies and drones, often incorporating synthesizers and acoustic and ethnic instrumentation.
One major example of a New Age artist is Enya, who've I've mentioned so many times before. I mean, her music is about nature and earth and life, it isn't about some guy who's lusting after this pretty girl and wants her to come back, no. That type of music is selfish and sick, but music about the world around us, the air, the grass, that means something.

Lets compare some lyrics shall we?

Down by Jay Sean and Lil Wayne:

Baby are you down down down down down,
Downnnnnnn, downnnnnnn,
Even if the sky is falling down,
Downnnnn, downnnnn
Ooohhh (ohhh)
(Verse 1)
You oughta know, tonight is the night to let it go,
Put on a show, I wanna see how you lose control,

(Bridge) So leave it behind cause we, have a night to get away,
So come on and fly with me, as we make our great escape.

(Chorus)
So baby dont worry, you are my only,
You wont be lonely, even if the sky is falling down,
Youll be my only, no need to worry,
Baby are you down down down down down, Dowwwnnnnn, Dowwnnnnn,
Baby are you down down down down down,
Downnnnn, Downnnnnn,
Even if the sky is falling down,

(Verse 2)
Just let it be, come on and bring your body next to me,
Ill take you away, hey, turn this place into our private getaway, (Bridge)
So leave it behind cause we, have a night to get away,
So come on and fly with me, as we make our great escape,
(So why dont we run away)

(Chorus)
So baby dont worry, you are my only,
You wont be lonely, even if the sky is falling down, Youll be my only, no need to worry,

Baby are you down down down down down,
Dowwwnnnnn, Dowwnnnnn,
Baby are you down down down down down,
Downnnnn, Downnnnnn,
Even if the sky is falling down,
(Verse 3)
Lil Wayne:Even if the sky is falling down like she's supposed to be,
She gets down low for me,
Down like her temperature, cause to me she zero degrees,
She cold, overfreeze,
I got that girl from overseas, Now she's my miss America,
Now can I be her solger please,
Im fighting for this girl,
On a battlefield of love,
She got me look like baby cupid sending arrows from above,
Dont you ever leave the side of me,
Indefinitely, not probably,
And honestly I'm down like the economy, Yeahhhhhh

(Chorus)
So baby dont worry, you are my only,
You wont be lonely, even if the sky is falling down,
You'll be my only, no need to worry,
Baby are you down down down down down, Dowwwnnnnn, Dowwnnnnn,
Baby are you down down down down down,
Downnnnn, Downnnnnn,
Lil Wayne: Ahoo, Ahoo, Ahoo,

Chorus
Even if the sky is falling down,
Downnnnn, Downnnnn,

Note: the bold-face text is text that I am disgusted with. First, notice how they refer to the female character in this song as nothing more than a cold, unfeeling female with a body. I mean, it's so degrading of women today! They refer to women or girls as "baby" I mean, really! And Lil Wayne's gonna be her soldier, huh? Like she can't protect herself, phshh. This song is so degrading, I hate it! Also, look at the over repetition of "down" and "baby".The grammar is so awful, I think I'm going to cry. Speak in full, proper sentences, you're both adults for crying out loud! This sends bad examples to our generation of teens. It promotes texting in incomplete words (which I despise) and promotes insulting the female gender. Erg.

Now for some lyrics by Roma Ryan (my favorite poet) and sung by Enya

Deora Ar Mo Chroi by Enya
[Irish (Gaelic) Translation]
deora ar mo chroi
Ba dheas an la go oiche
Na glortha binne i mo thaobh
'S aoibhneas i gach ait gan gruaim
Athas ar mo chroi go deo
He-a-ro
He-a-o-ro

Ma shiulaim o na laetha beo
An ghrian 's an ghealach ar mo chul
Nil uaim ach smaointe o mo shaoil
Deora ar mo chroi go bron
He-a-ro
He-a-ro
He-a-o-ro
tears on my heart
It was beautiful all day [1]
The sweet voices by my side
And beauty without dispair everywhere
Joy in my heart forever
He-a-ro
He-a-o-ro

If I walk from the alive days
The sun and the moon behind me [2]
I'll only need thoughts from my life
Tears sorrowfully on my heart
He-a-ro
He-a-ro
He-a-o-ro

[Adaptation by Roma Ryan]

tears on my heart
How beautiful the day and night;
the earth is singing in the wind,
the voices rise and touch the sky
telling all the earth's believing,
and in the night sighs fall down,
and from the skies sighs fall down on me.

And when I move away from view
my voice is singing in the wind,
it rises up to touch the sky
telling all that I believe in,
and from the night earth shall sing,
and from the night earth shall sing,
and from the night earth shall sing again.

Note: The bold-face text is text that I love so much. How inspiring and beautiful is that? It's so amazing, I don't think my large vocabulary can even pick a word to describe how breathtakingly phenomenal these lyrics are. It's one of the top played songs on my I-pod.

So what am I listening to now? A few new songs to the play-list of the novel I'm working on "song of the lost"

Tears of an Angel by RyanDan



Forest Rain Shower 5
file:///C:/Users/Kirthi/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Media/Music/Dr.%20Sound%20Effects/Soothing%20Sounds%20of%20Nature%20-%20Rain,%20Wind%20&/24%20Forest%20Rain%20Shower%205.m4a


Sometimes we have to go down to the basics, the soft relaxing music of rain falling down, the sound of tree's rustling in the wind, even the sound of silence.

And WOW, I've reached 303 followers! I'm so excited, thanks so much everyone!

5 thoughts:

  1. I like the Viva la Vida music on the iPod gadget (I think it's great, actually), but I tend to pay more attention to the posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. COngrats on reaching 301 posts! And, I completely and utterly agree with you. I can't even find one popular song on the radio without 'baby' or rapping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popular music has dismally degraded in terms of quality, but there is definitely good stuff out there. Enya is great. Personally, I like Owl City and Lights (their lyrics are amazingly imaginative-- the music is energetic), but if you're disgusted with mainstream lyrics, lyric-less music always works. :) Classical music and ambient drones work while I'm writing.

    On a separate note, I wonder if you listen to classical Indian music(Carnatic), seeing as your heritage is Indian. I love it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great post! I also despise the lyrics of the pop and more modern songs. I mean, seriously. Doooowwwwwnnnn is not a good lyric. And I totally agree with the degrading aspect. Ugh. Despicable.
    Anyways, Enya and Roma Ryan sound great!!! =) As well as 2 days from now.....=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey! i love my rap and r&b but i get where you are coming from :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger