Blue Book Weekend: Review of Fallen

15 May 2010

Thanks to my awesome friend Precious, from Fragments of Life, for coming up with this incredible idea! Recently, it's caught our attention that "Blue Books" are very atrractive, and that books should be blue. Examples?Well, you get the point! So this weekend, Precious and I will post some awesome stuff on the blue books we picked to shine the spotlight one. Today, I'm shining the spotlight on Fallen, by Lauren Kate! Thanks to Teens Read and Write for an ARC of Fallen, which didn't have the beautiful cover.The cover is apparently really good, and depressing, and beautiful! I give it 5 stars :D

Review on Fallen!

Title: Fallen
Author: Lauren Kate
Stars: 3
Pages: 452
Summary from Goodreads
Review by Kirthi

There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.


My thoughts:
After all the talk about Fallen, I was kind of disappointed. Really, all of Fallen was a mixture of ideas from other books.

Fallen Angel?- Hush, Hush and City of Bones
Bad Boy?- Hush, Hush and a lot of other books
Jealous other boy?- Other books
Immortal guy falling in love with the same girl (reincarnated) over centures?- Evermore
Forbidden love?- Evermore and lots of books
New girl at school- so over repeated in many books
Talkative, chatty BFF- lots of books Hot guy/bad boy/mysterious guy named Daniel?- The Dark Divine

Anyways, the list can go on and on, but I'll stop. However, I did like how smooth everything flowed together, all the chapters and events; smooth as chalk.
Beginning: Slow and boring and confusing. I had no idea what was going on until somewhere in the middle.
Middle: Gradually getting more interesting and juicer.
End: Abrupt and rushed

Characters: Luce is a plain, weak, and obscure. She played the old role of a shy new girl who obsessed over a dark and dangerous guy. I see no fury or vengeance, or uniqueness in Luce, her character just doesn't appeal to me.
Daniel is so cliche! His character is a rip-off of all the other male, hot, fictional characters out there. He's just like Damon from Evermore, who is just like Edward from Twilight, who is just like, oh you know what I mean! Daniel is also moody and has problems interpreting his emotions.
There were some good parts though. The romance, for one, and the fast-paced action at the end!

Overall: Fallen is an average medley of popular teen fiction from the past year
Conclusion: Not a must-read, just a read-if-you're-curious book.


Do you have a favorite or interesting-looking blue book you wanna share?

9 thoughts:

  1. Wow, I love how you aren't afraid to bash the book!
    Okay, maybe bash wasn't the right word to use... maybe honest?
    The other week, a fellow book hugger ran up to me and shrieked,"Ohmygosh, you HAVE to read this!"

    Okaaaaay.
    I read it.

    The best I can say is that it was worth my time, but then, I have a whole pile of awesome books that I could have been reading instead.
    Thanks for the review, Kirthi!
    Love, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the honest review! Wow, even from the summary I could tell it was going to be a cliche twilight-evermore-hushhush sort of thing:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same about this book. I loved the cover though, it's a shame the story wasn't as great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the honest review. They can't all be 5 stars.

    I love all the blue covers too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur. Though, I did feel like my interest and the book peaked toward the end. I did want to find out what was going to happen. I love your candor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pictures of the blue books. Blue is my favorite color so it always draws my eyes to a book if the cover has blue on it. Purple is a close second (loved the cover of The Dark Divine).

    I didn't finish reading Fallen. It just didn't appeal to me. From what you said about it I think I made the right choice for myself. I am giving away my ARC because I think there are other readers out there who would appreciate it more than I did.

    I am always glad when I find something new or unique to read in the paranormal genre. My current favorites include Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series and Vampire Academy. I know that plot lines are recycled a lot in fiction but sometimes I just want to read something refreshing too. What are your favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the fresh review you gave. I wish you luck on your own novel, finishing it and then finding a publisher. Roland

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a nice compendium of of blue coverness. I kept wanting to scroll up and down. Oh, and I replied to your comment on Steph Su's blog on Asian covers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since me favorite color in the world is blue, I couldn't agree with you more.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger