Blue Book Weekend (2) Interview with Aimee Friedman!

22 May 2010

(I absolutely LOVE this cover!! If I ever get my book published, I want this cover artist. I swear, just LOOK at it! I love the swirls)

My friend Precious and I noticed last week that there were a LOT of Blue Books getting published, so we started Blue Book Weekend! Precious already has her post up here, she interviewed author Angie Frazier and is hosting a beautiful signed swag giveaway!

This weekend, I have Aimee Friedman, author of Sea Change, for an awesome mini-interview. I suck at doing interviews, really. They're so hard, finding the right questions! Anyways, presenting Aimee Friedman!

1. Tell us a little about yourself

For as long as I can remember, books, reading, and writing have been my passion-- so it's no surprise that I also work as a book editor, in addition to writing: I love being immersed in the world of literature. I also love movies, art museums, music, and fashion. I'm a real New York City girl--I was born and raised in the city, and live here still. As a result, I don't have my driver's license, but I know where to find the best slice of pizza, how to hail a cab in the pouring rain, and which subway line to take just about anywhere.

2. How did you come up with the idea of Sea Change?

Growing up, I'd always been fascinated by the ocean, and The Little Mermaid was my favorite fairy tale. A few summers ago, I was riding on a ferry, and I was looking down at the sea foam, and had a thought: What if the gender roles of The Little Mermaid were reversed? What if it was the boy who came from the sea, and the land-living girl who fell in love with him? From that seed of an idea sprouted Sea Change.

3. How did you think up the title “Sea Change”

The phrase "sea change"-- which means a sweeping, meaningful transformation--comes from one of my favorite Shakespeare plays, THE TEMPEST. Actually, a few lines from that play are the epigraph at the front of Sea Change. In many ways, the book is all about change--the change that Miranda undergoes while on Selkie Island, the legend of the mer-people who change from land to sea creatures, and how falling in love can be the greatest transformation as ever. So with all that in mind, the title "Sea Change" seemed very fitting for a book that was so much about the sea...and transformation.

4. Did you have any say in what the cover was going to be like?

I did! I actually found the photograph that became the cover image! To read all about that experience, check out this guest blog I did: http://www.melissacwalker.com/blog/2009/06/win-it_wednesday_cover_stories_sea_change_by_aimee_friedman.html

5. Who’s your favorite character?

My favorite character I've written recently would be Katie Wilder, the protagonist of my book, The Year My Sister Got Lucky. She's very similar to how I was at fourteen--an aspiring ballet dancer, a daydreamer with an overactive imagination, a romantic, and someone who was not above spying on people...She was a lot of fun to write, and I think, as a result, many readers have connected with her as well.

6. Socks or no socks?

Super-soft cashmere socks in the winter. Bare feet and freshly painted toes in the summer.

7. Chocolate, yes or no?

The biggest yes imaginable. A day without chocolate is a sad day indeed.


I so agree with the chocolate, who can resist the wonderful delight that is chocolate? I'm a Dairy Milk and Lindor Truffle chocolate lover, you?

For more Blue Book stuff, check out my book reviews for Claire de Lune and A Blue So Dark!

7 thoughts:

  1. I agree. The cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, nice cover! This author sounds really interesting. I'll have to check out her book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm waiting for this book to be published in paperback (a week and a half from now)! I am IN LOVE with the cover! And I've heard some really great things about it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun meme! Great interview. :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover is so beautiful! The book sounds wonderful, I love how the mermaid role is reversed. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very good at doing interviews. Don't be so hard on yourself.

    (Aimee - you are so pretty. I think your answers were fantastic.)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger