Review: A Blue So Dark

29 April 2010


Terrified that her mother, a schizophrenic and an artist, is a mirror that reflects her own future, sixteen-year-old Aura struggles with her overwhelming desires to both chase artistic pursuits and keep madness at bay. As her mother sinks deeper into the darkness of mental illness, the hunger for a creative outlet keeps drawing Aura toward the depths of her own imagination—the shadows of make-believe that she finds frighteningly similar to her mother’s hallucinations. Convinced that creative equals crazy, Aura shuns her art, and her life unravels in the process.

My thoughts:

First of all, amazing cover? Yeah, beyond amazing, the depth and the meaning of it portrays the book so well, it's crazy how great it is.
The idea of having to take care of a schizophrenic mother is new and original, however there was something missing. That sense of reality wasn't sharpened enough, and something wasn't there! I don't know what exactly, I just know that there was a thing missing.
Beginning: Not as grabbing as it could have been. It was...empty, and confusing. It took me a while to catch onto the fast moving plot-line.
Middle: Hard to stop. As confusing as it is, there is still that nice tough of goodness to the story, it was very fluid and the events passed smoothly, with occasional dis-placed ripples intruding.
End: No. Just no. It just isn't realistic, or imaginable, the ending. I was still lingering in the tail-dust of what had happened, and tehn I re-read it to see if it had actually happened. It did, ut you'll have to read it to find out about it.

Characters: Aura, our main character, is obscure and hidden. She appeared to be a normal, dull, dreary girl with no special talent or individuality. Her character is just plain.
Her mom, however, is, of all the characters in this book, my favorite character. Her craziness was true and had this mad fun with it. She was amazingly fun and different from any character I've ever read about.
All in all, I didn't dig any characters but Aura's mom.
Conclusion: A Blue So Dark is a simple debut novel with a good topic and plot, but it was like a thick, hard, tough bone with barely an meat, just a few juicy scraps hanging on (sorry you non-meat-eaters for this descriptive analogy)

Not a must-read, you can read it though, nice and quick.

Note: If you want to win a copy of A Blue So Dark, enter my Green Week Giveaway! Ends 5/5

12 thoughts:

  1. Great review. I have to completely agree with you that the cover is gorgous. But an un realistic ending is one of the worst things. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A not so great ending and a not so great beginning surrounding awesomeness. It's hard to decide if it would be worth it or not.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover for this book. I wasn't really sure about it, but I suppose I could wait a bit before I read it. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goes to show , never go by the cover:) I have had such experiences before LOL

    Any ways if I find this in the library (that is, if and when my lib gets it )I will give it a try ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the hop, I discover so many wonderful book sites.
    Kelly Bookend Diaries
    http:bookenddiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stopped by from the blog hop and started following, read your review of A Blue So Dark, this was on my TBR and I'll admit I'm slightly hesitant after reading the review but I'd still like to give it a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kirthi (my mentor!)

    Your conclusion is so funny to picture. I like how you listed your thoughts under separate paragraphs with a title for each one.

    Happy Friday.

    Melina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent review! I agree with you - that cover is simply stunning. But I'm not sure about the book as a whole. It's worth a shot, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the honest review. Never heard of it but it has a really nice cover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was expecting more from this book....
    Lately, I have seen in many books that the main character is often normal or plain. I understand the idea of this is that we can relate to them, but in my case, I read because I want to live the adventure of others xD
    Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are looking to buy bitcoins online, Paxful is the ultimate source for bitcoins as it allows buying bitcoins by 100's of different payment methods, such as MoneyGram, Western Union, PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, American Express and they even allow converting your gift cards for bitcoins.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger