Reivew: Persepolis

01 April 2010


Title: Persepolis
Author- Marjane Satrapi
Stars: 4.5
Summary from GoodreadsPages: 153
Graphic Novel

Persepolis paints an unforgettable portrait of daily life in Iran: of the bewildering contradictions between home life and public life and of the enormous toll repressive regimes exact on the individual spirit. Marjane’s child's-eye-view of dethroned emperors, state-sanctioned whippings, and heroes of the revolution allows us to learn as she does the history of this fascinating country and of her own extraordinary family. Intensely personal, profoundly political, and wholly original, Persepolis is at once a story of growing up and a stunning reminder of the human cost of war and political repression. It shows how we carry on, through laughter and tears, in the face of absurdity. And, finally, it introduces us to an irresistible little girl with whom we cannot help but fall in love. My thoughts:
I never read anything about the Islamic Revolution, so Persepolis was like an easy to comprehend history lesson. Marjane's autobiographic graphic novel blew me away. Satrapi shows how it was like during the Islamic Revolution from the first hand point of view. The harsh reality stunned me, the violence and the terror were at times incredibly grotesque.
The humor, though, was enjoyable. I loved that no matter what happened in the Islamic Revolution , Satrapi stayed true to herself (read the last part where 'staying true' is mentioned). The drawings were lovely, and cute, and amazing. No, it's not manga or anime, its a unique cartoon.
Beginning: Amazing. The first panels automatically 'drew' me into Iran.

Middle: Could not put it down!
"Delectable...Dances with drama and insouciant wit"
-New York Times Book Review
That pretty much summarizes my volume thick thoughts.
Ending: Emotional, loved it!


Characters: My favorite character, besides Marjane, was Uncle Anoosh. He was my hero, loving, strong, and inspirational. His story was unique and scary, and I loved him!
Marjane was hilarious, her innocence and brightness (and strong involvement in politics) throughout the book made me smile to myself at times.
Marjane's mother and father were ranked next to Uncle Anoosh and Marjane, they were (are? like the dream parents everyone wants to have. Their constant love and support and just plain coolness is so easy to like.All in all, 5+ stars to the characters!
Persepolis has, by far, the BEST characters ever!

Conclusion: Illustrious, memorable, and immortal, Persepolis is a time-less (graphic) novel that will blow you away (like it did to me)!
The panels from above are from Persepolis 2: A Story of a Return. It wasn't as good as the first one, but it was good all the same. You can see how funny Marjane Satrapi is, Persepolis is a must read!

6 thoughts:

  1. Never a fan of graphic novels, but my teacher recommended this when we studied them! And since you liked it so much, I just might have to read it :D
    nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this before, but it seems interesting. Nice review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this sounds amazing! I've never considered reading a graphic novel, but being half Iranian this would be a great choice for me. Thanks for the review - I want to find this!

    Emidy
    from Une Parole

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the first Persepolis and I loved it. I also didn't really know anything about the Islamic Revolution in Iran when I read it and I learned a lot.

    I want to see the film. Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of Persepolis and the people I know all really liked it or loved it, I'll definitely have to make more of an effort to read it. Especially since I don't know anything about the Islamic Revolution.

    LOL at those cartoons. Thanks for sharing them, they make me even more eager to read the book and show the talent of the artist along with the humor of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I also enjoyed this and thought that the illustrations were great. I joined a graphic reading challenge to push myself to read some graphic novels, since there are great stories out there, but still they have a reputation of being not as "literary" as a novel. the city of Philadelphia actually has chosen Persepolis as their One Book, One Community read!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger