ARC Review: Linger

17 April 2010


Title: Linger
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Stars: 4.8
Pages: 368

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabel, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole. At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love -- the light and the dark, the warm and the cold -- in a way you will never forget.


My thoughts:

After reading the phenomenon that was Shiver, I had high expectations for Linger. I wasn't sure if I would like the new characters involved and the changed plot, but my doubts were erased as I read.

The romance between Sam and Grace is easy, wordless and deep. Maggie Stiefvater created a new type of romance with her unbelievable writing skills. The poetry in Sam's songs are amazing and emotional. There are bits of poetry from Roethke and Rilke too, I hadn't heard of them until I read Shiver and Linger, and I'm glad I did because now I'm their fan!

Note: The overall writing style is what I like about Maggie Stiefvater's books; her writing is unique. However, I felt that there wasn't that thick, rich love between Sam and Grace. It wasn't strong enough, the love, it was just there in space, floating around.

Beggining: An enticing prolouge, mysterious and haunting; poetic. Chapter 1 begins from Sam's point of view. I love how Stiefvater changes P.O.V's to other characters it's (sometimes) more enjoyable than just one person narrating the entire time.
The beginning almost instantly began with action, which is awesome, and there's no stop to the action.

Middle: I wasn't glued to the pages as I had been with Shiver, it wasn't that good, but the writing kept me going.

End: It was most definitely not my most favorite ending. I didn't like how things turned out, plot-wise. The ending left me hanging, and hungry for more.

Characters: I love Sam, his character is really sweet and loving, totally lovable. Sadly, he's too...depressing and emo-ish at times. (kind of spoiler in next sentence) He believes that he and Grace can never be together, and he doesn't fight it, you know?
Grace is pushy and bossy and strong, and not so much as Grace as she had been in Shiver. She lost a little glow, but she's still an admirable character.

Cole: strongly dislike. Too emo
Isabelle: strongly dislike. Too mean

Overall: Not as good as Shiver, but still a must-read after the hang-off ending Shiver left readers with.

11 thoughts:

  1. Excellent review! I've been hearing so much about this series but I haven't started it yet. I definitely want to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read to the point where you clearly state that Linger is not a disappointment. That was all I needed--I can't wait to get my hands on a copy! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read to the point where you clearly state that Linger is not a disappointment. That was all I needed--I can't wait to get my hands on a copy! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you enjoyed Linger! I was curious if it would live up to Shiver, and now I'm going to have to grab a copy for sure! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Honest review!! I didn't really like Shiver, in terms of it was too much romance. But I'm going to try out Linger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I'll have to read it sometime:]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to thank you again for the buttons--I keep getting awesome emails and such about how great they are! I'm going to do a formal post about them (and give you all the credit, of course) if that's okay with you! Let me know!

    hderaps@mbrsd.org

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kirthi!

    Super review. You are such a great writer!

    Melina

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great review! You make me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like it absolutely lives up to the expectations I have of it after having read Shiver!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic detailed review! I really want to read this because I liked Shiver but I have a feeling I won't like Linger as much as I liked the first book. I do enjoy Stiefvater's writing style and voice.

    I read some of Rilke's work in college (I was an English major) and I'm glad you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger