Re-Review: The Heretic Queen

05 March 2010

I first read the Heretic Queen a while ago, but I didn't fully understand it. After "King Tut Revealed" an unveiling of King Tut on Discovery.com, I immediately remembered the people mentioned (Nefertiti, Akhenaten, Amunhotep lll etc...) from The Heretic Queen, and a desire to read it again overcame me.

My thoughts:

Michelle Moran's Nefertiti was absolutely amazing and lured me into the rich world of Ancient Egypt. I learned a lot about Egypt that I hadn't known (before I read it the first time) while also enjoying the fiction part of it.
The Heretic Queen is like a sequel to Nefertiti, but it can stand alone as a novel. It would make more sense if you read Nefertiti first though. I read The Heretic Queen first and I didn't understand most of it. Then I read Nefertiti, and it all pieced together. So this is a re-read, re-review!

Beginning: The beginning wasn't an introduction, it was like you walked into the middle of a great movie in the grand halls of Ancient Egypt. It's like no other book I've ever read!

Middle: I did want to stop reading. I was pulled back in time! The main character in this was Mutnodjmet's daughter, Nefertari. Mutnodjmet was the sister of Nefertiti. It's interesting how in Nefertit, Michelle Moran wrote from Mutnodjmet's P.O.V. instead of Nefertiti's, and so it's great how she wrote from Nefertari's P.O.V.

Ending: Delightful! A wonderful, picture sunset ending~

Characters: Somehow, Michel Moran characterized every character incredibly well, including the minor characters, which is amazing!
Ramesses's character was one that I loved. His relationship with Nefertari as childhood friends and then lovers was cute and romantic. I love how he teases Nefertari and how Nefertari is like "a little sister" to him. They're strong bond is admirable. Ramesses's urge to please her with gifts and words was very sweet!
Conclusion:
"Michelle Moran breathes new life into the faded paintings on tomb walls, bringing Ramesses, Nefertari, and the whole panoply of ancient Egyptian splendor to vivid, bustling, page-turning life."
-Lauren Willig

"The Heretic Queen is a real page turner! A heady, ancient Egyptian brew of magic and mystery; history, murder, and palace intrique as well as romance. I read this enthralling novel in one sitting"
-India Enghill


So do I, India! This is a MUST READ!

6 thoughts:

  1. I'm aching to read this book! It actually seems so interesting, and everyone's talking about how good it is.

    Emidy
    from Une Parole

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an excellent review, and I'm just dying to read this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this book. Great review. I am such a Michelle Moran fan. Have u read her Cleopatr's Daughter ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. I didn't read the first one either. I have a lot of work to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nefertiti is one of my favorite historical fiction novels! I'm glad you re-read and enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger