Review: Ways to Live Forever

06 February 2010



Title: Ways to Live Forever
Author: Sally Nicholls
Stars: 4.5
Summary from Goodreads
Pages: 208
My name is Sam. I am eleven years old. I collect stories and fantastic facts. By the time you read this, I will probably be dead. Sam loves facts. He wants to know about UFOs and horror movies and airships and ghosts and scientists, and how it feels to kiss a girl. And because he has leukaemia he wants to know the facts about dying. Sam needs answers to the questions nobody will answer. "Ways To Live Forever" is the first novel from an extraordinarily talented young writer. Funny and honest, it is one of the most powerful and uplifting books you will ever read.

My thoughts:

Beginning:
At first, I felt like I didn't want to read this because of the thick, stiff paper it was printed on, but as I kept reading, all of Sam's thoughts, facts and dreams pulled me in.

Middle:
I felt emotional as I read the good, the bad, and the sad things and events in Sam's life. The thought of an 11 year old boy was memorable. I'm glad I took this brief break from teen romance/fiction for this. The simple things that I take for granted means much much more to Sam's character than it does to me.

Ending:
I laughed and cried at this ending.
Characters: I love love love Sam's character. An innocent (sort-of) boy who wants to know what it's like to live. He's an inspiration ot me.
Felix was as great as any best friend should be. He's ill, just like Sam, but he's older by 2 years, and yet that age difference doesn't matter, and that's what I love about Sam and Felix's friendship.


Cover Love:

I love the trees, bright and colorful. The leaves mix together beautifully, like two painted colors smudged together on a canvas. The long thick branch that Sam's sitting on is clear, whereas the other branches blend in with the blob-by leaves. And then there's the model who plays Sam. He's perfect, those happy, inquisitive light-filled brown eyes looking up into the distance. That lovely, hope-filled smile is the reason I picked this book up. The red hoodie just screams SAM. The fact that it covers his bald head (chemotherapy) is even better, but in the book it says he grew his hair back, curious...but I'm glad this is the way the cover is.
Title love: Ways to Live Forever. Intriguing. Those simple words that speaks thousands. Very inspirational title.

Conclusion: I love how innocently wonderful this book is. Recommended to all ages!
___________________________________________________________________

P.S. Here are all the other covers that I don't like as much.

6 thoughts:

  1. U checked out killingmesweetly.blogspot.com well thts my other blog plz like it! I want to read tht book it seems like i would love love love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts! I love the first cover, as well, but I'm not too partial to the others :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the first cover best:]
    Great review

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great story. Before I Die by Jenny Downham is on similar lines but it's for older teens. I will look out for this book..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at all of those covers! What an interesting way to interpret the same book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this review! I've been wanting to read this book, but have to prep myself first as I know I'm going to cry, heh. I love the first cover and the blue UK one!
    ps: Thanks for featuring my button - I've added yours too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger