Review: The Hunger Games and Catching Fire +What's your opinion?

22 February 2010




Title: The Hunger Games (read 3 weeks ago)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Stars: 4.9
Summary from Goodreads
Review by Kirthi
Pages: 374
In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.
My thoughts:
Oh my gosh. The Hunger Games is one of the best books ever! Everything about The Hunger Games was right, the plot, the action, and the events.
I like the idea of Districts, kind of like separate planets in Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund. The evil, controlling unitary government was an old idea reflected back in a new better version.
I felt utterly repulsed at the Capitol, and felt what Suzanne Collins must have been trying to portray to the readers, how survival can bring people together,and how sometimes the impossible becomes the possible.
I have a few Gregor the Overlander books on my shelf. I a read a few books in the series and remember enjoying it, but not as much as I enjoyed The Hunger Games.
The Hunger Games and Graceling, similar?
Somehow The Hunger Games reminds me of Kristin Cashore's Graceling.
Katniss and Katsa share similiar names and similar characteristics. Katsa's Grace on survival mirror's Katniss's survival ability. Katniss is hard and sometimes shown as unfeeling and immune to other people emotions, just like Katsa is in Graceling. Peeta shares the same first letter as Po, and I think Peeta shares the same characteristics of Po: a stubborn, strong, and in-love man.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I like how Collin's shows the control-obsessed, powerful government in an indirect way, based on Katniss's thoughts.
Ending: The ending was in my opinion, unsatisfactory.
Conclusion: Insanely good, recommended to all ages and genders!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Title: Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins
Stars: 5+
Summary from Goodreads
Review by Kirthi
Pages: 391

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

My thoughts:
I am totally blown away by Catching Fire. I literally could not put it down! Everything was thick and real. The trickery, the cunning, and secrets are all cleverly revealed. I cannot wait to read Mockingjay.
Catching Fire (and the Hunger Games) is like a literary phenomenon to be ranked with Harry Potter and all the other great works of literature.
Beginning: The tension between Peeta, Gale, the government, and Katniss's screwed up life is all so real, so wonderfully written. The beginning really pulled me into the story right from where I left off in The Hunger Games.

Middle: Absolutely enthralling. My eyes were hot glue-gunned down on to the pages. I started today, on the bus home from school and finished three and half hours later, no breaks. That tells you something. The teams and alliances made in Catching Fire were different and brought on insight on the other victors and Districts, good and bad. The silent war between Katniss and Peeta and the Capitol is agonizingly deep, with shocking turns. I never knew what to expect from Suzanne Collins. The most shocking, most completely unexpected things just pops up and then continues leaving me with no time to recover.
End: Wow. So bad yet so good. So sad yet so okay-ish. If you've read the Hunger Games highlight over the white text below to read my REAL thoughts on the ending:
Oh my gosh, District 12, destroyed? Wow! Did Peeta die or is he being helf captive by the Capitol? Yeah, he's being helf by the Capitol, but why's Katniss so devastated? The ending went by so fast...Help anyone?

Characters: I ~heart~ Peeta! Team Peeta!!! Katniss is as strong and admirably brace as always. The other new characters were lovable and well-developed, easy to understand, unlike Peeta who is the most surprising, unpredictable character ever!

Conclusion: Delicious. Rich. Yummy. It may be obvious, but you must read! First read The Hunger Games, though.
___________________________________________________________________
What Team are You?
If you haven't visited my Which Team are You On? Poll for The
Hunger Games, please do (only if you've read the books)!
Add these Team buttons to show your side!




Link your review of Catching Fire or The Hunger Games (please mention) below on Mr. Linky so I can read your thoughts on them! Thanks!



10 thoughts:

  1. Wow, this series seems amazing! I'm one of the very few who has not read them yet. But I've been meaning too! And wanting too!

    Emidy
    Une Parole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noooo, how can you be Team Peeta??? :P

    About your CF questions, Peeta is currently being held captive by the Capitol. We don't know if he's dead or alive (but he's most probably still alive). Katniss is upset because the Capitol can do anything to him... torture him, kill him, etc. And plus, she and Haymitch were supposed to keep Peeta safe, but they ended up keeping her safe.


    I love these books! I don't know how I can wait until August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooops I haven't read these yet haha I really need to...asap! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeek, sadly I still haven't read this books! I feel like I should since everyone seems to adore them, but I'm just not feeling the main concept - is that strange, lol? Great reviews though, I'm even more intrigued by these books now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you finally got to it. ;) By the way, your spoiler is totally visible. Just FYI. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to read catching fire so badly!! great reviews:]

    Milli

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have not read them. So sad

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger