The Seven Rays: Review

18 January 2010


Title: The Seven Rays
Author: Jessica Bendinger
Stars: 4
Review by Kirthi
Summary from Goodreads
Pages: 328
Thanks to Grace for letting me borrow this!

THAT IS THE ANONYMOUS MESSAGE that Beth Michaels receives right before she starts seeing things. Not just a slept-through my-alarm-clock, late-for-homeroom, haven't had-my-caffeine-fix kind of seeing things. It all starts with some dots, annoying pink dots that pop up on and over her mom and her best friend's face. But then things get out of control and Beth is seeing people's pasts, their fears, their secrets, their desires. The images are coming at Beth in hi-def streaming video and she can't stop it. Everyone thinks she's crazy and she's pretty sure she agrees with them. But crazy doesn't explain the gold envelopes that have started arriving, containing seeing keys and mysterious tarot cards. To Beth, it all seems too weird to be true. You are more than you think you are? But here's the thing: What if she is?

"The Seven Rays takes you on a journey of mystery, magic, adventure, and the intricacies of relationships and love. Read this book, enjoy the adventure. be inspired, but also find that part of your being where the paranormal becomes the normal"
-Deepak Chopra

My thoughts:
The Seven Rays seems extremely popular, and I was attracted to the shiny, gold cover (I judged this book) so I read it.
I thought that all the characters were...too perfect. They were all pretty and successful and awesome, a little stereotypical, but otherwise they were well written. At first, the random chapters stuck between the story made no sense at all, I had no idea why it was there, but then at the end, a few chapters before the end, it all made sense, so I like how it all comes together to a conclusion. The romance is delicious, except that the ending was sad, and disgusting (if you people who read this, then you know what Beth has to do ~wink~). I liked the beginning where Beth was discovering her powers, and when Beth was in the !SPOILER! hospital/crazy place.
The Seven Rays is definitely original, and I'm glad it didn't involve vampires, werewolves, or (fallen) angels: something new. I agree with Deepak Chopra (the quote above), the paranormal has become the normal, ha. I think maybe this book deserves a three, but there's something that makes me give it a four. Maybe it's that I haven't been reading that many good books....Anyway! I enjoyed The Seven Rays, it was a great read!
Includes:
  • no swearing
  • romantic scenes
  • adventure and excitement
I love Book-lover Carol's review on this!

8 thoughts:

  1. Excellent Review!!!

    I want to read this now :) it sounds good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this book. I am putting it on my wishlist. Great review Kirthi

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great review! I absolutely love this cover, and I'll definitely have to add it to my TBR pile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to take a look at this one. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review! I really want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! You really shock me some times. I forget you are 13. Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found the Beth's voice along with her best friend Shirl and boyfriend Richie to be engaging and at times laugh out loud funny. There wasn't a dull moment in the book. For me THE SEVEN RAYS will go down as one of the best young adult books I've read in 2010.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger