Review: Shiver

24 January 2010

I wrote this on notebook paper a month ago, then I lost it. I worked so hard on writing it on a late night. See, I read Shiver, then went to sleep, and then WOOSH! A review started to form in my head, and I scrambled to write it all down, and finally finished at 11:00 (man, was I tired!) Hope you like it!Don't you love the cover?? One of the best covers ever. I didn't realize there was a blue wolf in the background until I got the book :D
____________________________________________________________________
Title: Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1)
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Stars: 5+++
Review by Kirthi
Summary from Goodreads
Pages: 400

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again. Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

My thoughts:
Maggie Stiefvater creates her own style of writing, a mix of beautiful poetry and paranormal romance. She made a whole new way of describing 'love'. In Twilight, Bella had an obsession (with Edward). In Night World, they were just words. In Shiver, it felt real. No book (specifically paranormal romance) has ever moved me as much as Shiver. The descriptive detail, the unwritten words, just come out and the sorrow and sadness and understanding was clear.
"The best writer can make the reader feel what they feel"
-Unknown author and quote I heard somewhere

Maggie made me feel like something I don't even know. I know this sounds like ravings of a girl completly mind-blown from a book, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.
The whole "imprinting" idea brought up about werewolves from Stephanie Meyer is trash compared to what Stiefvater brings up (love for who your are). I mean, imprinting is like forcing someone to be with you without caring what they have to say about it. Forced love. That's what imprinting is.
I'm still flustered and blubbering after reading this! It's like...wow! Same and Grace are like ______! (Best couple ever?) They came to life, like real people.
The ending was both amazingly happy and horribly, devastatingly, beautifully sad (not giving away anything, haha!)
My repeating saying "dialouge makes a good book" is revealed in Shiver. The romantic lines are beautiful, and the frequent silences (in dialouge) splashed in speak much more than a thousand words! I think that Shiver is the best romance I've ever read, along with Lament and a few other books that I forgot...

Conclusion: Of course I rate this 5+++ (10 stars)! It's a must read for everyone!

P.S. I really hope they DON'T make a movie out of this. When you make a movie out of a really good book, and the movie turns out bad, then the book loses it's luster (Twilight). But then again, if you make a movie out of a really good book, then the movie will always be "bad"...

11 thoughts:

  1. Great review! While Shiver wasn't my favourite of Maggie's work, I still really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review!!!

    Can't wait to read this :)


    PS you won an award!

    http://storywings.blogspot.com/2010/01/blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Lol, I don't mind if you sound like a crazed, raving fangirl because I TOTALLY WAS ONE after reading Shiver. I'm also scared for the movie and the sequel, because I'm so scared of being disappointed and Shiver being ruiined. Now I'm going back to read my review from before to make sure I didn't sound like a crazed fangirl...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! How ironic! I just posted up my review of Shiver, too! Fascinating. :P

    Lovely review. I totally know what you mean about the movie/book thing, but if they did do it right, it would be so awesome. I can just hear the type of music...wow.

    Anyways. :)

    -Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved it too.. Lots more than Twilight . ( I am not even sure if I liked Twilight :) )

    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! Shiver is up there on my favorite's list too. I agree that the romance seemed more real than other books, especially Twilight, which I loved when I read it but not so much anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, I'm pretty sure that I found it through The Story Siren's YA Connection contest mister linky. I find a lot of blogs that way :P And it was probably the Poison Study give-away that I entered haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your opening is pretty decent but the only criticism I have is the lack of descriptive words based on imagery.lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I've had this book on my TBR for a long time. I really must make the effort to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!!!! Maggie ranks high on my favorite author list!!! I will be reading anything she gives up!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a good one! I hope they do a good job with the movie. It's so disappointing when they don't!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger