Review: Ballad

21 January 2010



Title: Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Stars: 4
Review by Kirthi
Summary from Goodreads
Pages: 352
Thanks to Tricia O'Reilly from Llewellyn | Midnight Ink | Flux for sending me a copy to review!

In this mesmerizing sequel to Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception, music prodigy James Morgan and his best friend, Deirdre, join a private conservatory for musicians. James' musical talent attracts Nuala, a soul-snatching faerie muse who fosters and feeds on the creative energies of exceptional humans until they die. Composing beautiful music together unexpectedly leads to mutual admiration and love. Haunted by fiery visions of death, James realizes that Deirdre and Nuala are being hunted by the Fey and plunges into a soul-scorching battle with the Queen of the Fey to save their lives.

My thoughts:
I was pretty disappointed that Ballad was written from James's point of view. I was hoping to read more about Dee, and James (swoon). Don't get me wrong, I love James's character; He's smart, funny, and funny. I learned a few humorous comebacks from him.
James is that easy going, always cool kind of character. What I really like about him is that he always knows what to say, in any situation.
What I love about faerie books is that they have a twisty plot embedded into the story.

"Maggie Steifvater excels at writing wonderfully complex characters who face wickedly impossible obstacles. Ballad had me hooked until the pulse pounding end"
-Carrie Ryan


I agree with Carrie. The characters (reminder: characters are one of my favorite parts) were all complete and dynamic, and so richly written. Full points for characters!
The beggening of the story was okay, but again it was written in James's P.O.V. ~sigh~
I loved how the events all unfolded into one dramatic ending, which I thought was the best. The dialouge was absolutely wonderful, there was so much good dialogue, I was about to die with happiness.
I think I love Lament better than Ballad because it was an introduction and had more "romance" than "action", but Ballad was just as good.
Lament- 5 star romance
Ballad- 4 star action

Here's what my friends at school had to say about it:
Friend #1 "Bald? Does that say Bald?"
My Reply "No! It say's 'Ballad' Bah-led"
_______________________________
Friend #2 "Faeries you say? Faeries?! (laugh) Have you watched Tinkerbell yet?"
My reply "It's not those type of faeries! Those are fake faeries made to look good!"
_______________________________
Friend #3 "Is that a book about global warming? You would read a global warming book."
My reply "No it's not about global warming"
_______________________________
Friend #4 "Ooh, pretty cover!"
My reply "Oh know!"
_______________________________
Friend #3 thought the burning autumn leaf on the cover was a symbol of global warming, but it's not. Charming aren't they?
Conclusion: Wonderful book! It's not a must read, but if you read Lament and loved it, then Ballad is highly recommended.

Includes:
  • Great humor
  • Amazing dialouge
  • A little cursing, nothing severe
  • Based on Irish (Celtic) myths and legends!!! EEK! I ~heart~ Ireland!!! :)

3 thoughts:

  1. Now I have got to read both Lament and Ballad. Don't know what kept me from reading them but no more excuses now. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I loved that Ballad was from James' POV, simply because his voice is just SO engaging...and hilarious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write very well for your age. I like that you gave friends responses to the book. I see the covers on yout blog around the blogging world but I didn't know they were YA. They look like adult covers. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger