Night World Volume 1 Review

04 January 2010


Part of my Blogging New Years Resolution was to write more detailed reviews and include the number of pages in a book (get it, Pages? Haha)
Thanks to Erica from
The Book Cellar for providing me a copy of this book (along with Night World: The Ultimate Fan Guide) which I won on her awesome blog!

Title: Night World: Secret Vampire
Author: L.J. Smith
Stars: 4.5
Review by Kirthi
Summary from Goodreads (and back of the book)
Pages: 242

In Secret Vampire, Poppy thought the summer would last forever. Then she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Now Poppy's only hope for survival is James, her friend and secret love. A vampire in the Night World, James can make Poppy immortal. But first they both must risk everything to go against the laws of Night World.

My thoughts:
When I read this, I didn't know what to expect. I thought it would be like Twilight, a total copy. The theme had the same idea: forbidden romance, and thinking of turning a human immortal. James, a vampire of the Night World, is very similar to Edward Cullen in Twilight. He's soft, yet hard at the same time, and is determined to protect Poppy, his best friend since childhood. And then of course, an evil vampire set out to kill. Yet in other ways, Secret Vampire was different from Twilight. Instead of vampires and werewolves, it's vampires and witches. And instead of having a weak, defenseless female heroine (Bella), there was Poppy, a strong, energetic and fierce fighter, ready to give up everything for the chance to live. I also like how L.J. Smith gave two points of view, one from Poppy, and the other from James; It makes the story clear. The characters were well-developed, and there was a lot of indirect characterization, which left room for me to imagine. Everything was good, except for the not-so-original story plot. The emotions were expressed with descriptive detail, so you could feel what Poppy and James were feeling, and that adds up to a great book! But. Yes, the but. BUT The ending was eating my mind, because it left me hanging. It was an ending that wasn't a really "The End" type of ending. It was an ending open for creative thoughts, and ending where you could fill in the _____. I don't like those endings, I like endings where the author has an epilogue that explains what happens to the characters after the story.
Includes:
  • no swearing (maybe once or twice)
  • good detail
  • a lot of info on terminal cancer
___________________________________________________________
Title: Night World: Daughters of Darkness
Author: L.J. Smith
Stars: 4
Review by Kirthi
Summary by Goodreads
Pages: 238

Fugitives from Night World, three vampire sisters leave their isolated home to live among humans in Daughters of Darkness. Their brother, Ash, is sent to bring the girls back, but he falls in love with their beautiful friend.

My thoughts:
I thought that from the ending of Secret Vampires, that the next book would go on to tell more of the story of Poppy and James, but it didn't. Instead it introduced a new set of characters, except for Ash. The first few chapters were confusing, because the P.O.V's kept switching from the three vampire sisters, Ash, and Mary-Lynette and Mark. It took me a while of flipping back and reading over to understand. Daughters of Darkness was part paranormal romance(s) and part mystery. At first, the vampire sisters seem evil, but then as the story goes on, they change, or maybe they were like that in the first place...well I know they were dynamic characters, especially Ash. What I like about THIS paranormal romance is that someone (not telling :D) changes himself/herself completely for the person he/she loves, which I think is incredibly romantic! The love relationship was still vampire-human / human-vampire. The betrayal (of course there's betrayal!) is not-so-much-okay-maybe-a-little-shocking. The style of writing is the same as Secret Vampires and so is the dialogue. The ending was just like Secret Vampires, it was a fill in the ending _____________ with your own creative imagination. A hanger ending! It was satisfying though, when (SPOILER) the vampire says goodbye (not forever) to the human. Sigh........ Conclusion: I de-starred this book because of the confusion it caused me, but it might be different for other people! I recommend this to all teens interested in paranormal romance!

Includes:
  • no swearing (that I can think of...)
  • not-very-good villain
  • great mystery!
___________________________________________________________
Title: Night World: Spellbinder
Author: L.J. Smith
Stars: 4
Review by Kirthi
Summary from Goodreads and back of book
Pages: 238

Two witch cousins fight over their high school crush. It's a battle between black magic and white magic in Spellbinder.

My thoughts:
Yay! There's finally a witch story! This, being my first Night World Witch story, was amazing. Thea is a young, magic wielding, spell chanting, potion brewing, direct descendant of Hellewise witch with an opposite-personality cousin, Blaise. There was real-feeling danger involved here and witch-human paranormal romance. Thea reminded me of Poppy, strong and determined. This is the first book I read that revealed a witch's P.O.V. and told the story of a witch. The romance is almost the same as the other books, but this time, the human is a male, not a female. And this time, the villain is not a vampire! There are a bunch of differences between Spellbinder and the other two Night World books, Secret Vampire and Daughters of Darkness, as you can see.
Includes:
  • evil
  • Black Magic
  • description (sometimes with gruesome detail)
_________________________________________________________
My thoughts about the volume in all:
I really enjoyed this collection of "short" stories, and once I finished reading one book, I could go directly to the next book instead of buying/checking it out. The romances, I noticed, were almost all alike, sharing the "forbidden romance" topic, but otherwise, LOVED it! I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

4 thoughts:

  1. Thanks for reviewing all of these. I like how you point out the differences as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking about buying the night world book collection by L.J. Smith but first I wish to look at a preview of the books to be sure. I would like alittle bit more information than what is on the back of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love the Night Worlde series! Daughters of Darkness is one of my favorites. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved loved loved the secret Vampire

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger