Keturah and Lord Death

10 January 2010



Title: Keturah and Lord Death
Author: Martine Leavitt
Stars: 5+
Summary from Goodreads
Review by Kirthi
Pages: 214

Martine Leavitt offers a spellbinding story, interweaving elements of classic fantasy and high romance. Keturah follows a legendary hart into the king's forest, where she becomes hopelessly lost. Her strength diminishes until, finally, she realizes that death is near. Little does she know that he is a young, handsome lord, melancholy and stern. Renowned for her storytelling, Keturah is able to charm Lord Death with a story and thereby gain a reprieve -- but only for twenty-four hours. She must find her one true love within that time, or all is lost. Keturah searches desperately while the village prepares for an unexpected visit from the king, and Keturah is thrust into a prominent role as mysterious happenings alarm her friends and neighbors. Lord Death's presence hovers over all until Keturah confronts him one last time in the harrowing climax.


"The romance is intense, the writing is startling, and the story is spellbinding--It's difficult to turn away from as the tales beautiful Keturah tells to the people of her village,... This novel gets so many things just right. The plotting moves in and out of the everyday and the supernatural, but it's so finely tuned that the worlds seem one. Readers will be carried away on the wind of Leavitt's words, and few will be able to guess how she finally ends her story."
—Booklist, Starred Review




My thoughts:
I agree with Booklist's review! This poetic, fairy-tale like story had me reading all right. Keturah's boldness and enchanting stories are admirable and lovable, and Lord Death turns out to be very, very different than I imagined. I disagree on the last part of Booklist's review, the part where it says that few will be able to guess the ending: I guessed the ending correctly, with the little foreshadowing hints scattered throughout the book, but reading the ending still gave me excitement. It was a sad, yet happy ending, that I loved. I crave poetic fiction like Keturah and Lord Death, and Shiver. The mix between literature and poetry put together in one book is another recipe for a good book! The romance was shocking and perfect, and almost everything is perfect! The bold-faced parts of the Booklist Starred Review is my favorite part that best describes Keturah and Lord Death. The odd, funny way of speaking was strange, but it gave the writing texture, I enjoyed everything about Keturah and Lord Death!

5 thoughts:

  1. Never heard of this book before, will have to look it up. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds beautiful. The cover is amazing they seem to be stealing a kiss in time

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOnderful review. I have added this book to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds and looks amazing! I'm adding this to my book list. Hopefully I'll buy it some time soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, definitely a TBR list book. I hope I get to read it soon. Your review only makes me look forward to it even more!!!

    Sincerely,
    Emma

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger