A Great and Terrible Beauty: Review

10 January 2010


Title: A Great and Terrible Beauty
Author: Libba Bray
Stars: 3
Summary from back of book
Review by Kirthi

Gemma Doyle isn't like other girls. Girls with impeccable manners, who speak when spoken to, who remember their station, and who will lie back and think of England when it's required of them.
No, sixteen-year-old Gemma is an island unto herself, sent to the Spence Academy in London after tragedy strikes her family in India. Lonely, guilt ridden, and prone to visions of the future that have an uncomfortable habit of coming true, Gemma finds a chilly reception. But she's not completely alone...she's been followed by a mysterious young man, who warns her to close her mind against the visions.
For it's at Spence that Gemma's power to attract the supernatural unfolds; there she becomes entangled with the school's most powerful girls and discovers her mother's connection to a shadowy group called the Order. It's there that her destiny waits...if only she can believe in it.

My thoughts:
I've been forcing myself not to read this because the quote" mysterious young man" happens to share the name of my brother, so you can see how awkward it is. I really didn't like this book because of the choices Gemma made, and how the story was carried out. Gemma was a funny, daring girl that I love, but everyone else, all the other characters, were nothing, like tiny, porcelain dolls with stiff thoughts and actions. A few years ago, I tried reading this, and I remember thinking "This is so boring!" Now that I've read this, I think that it still DID feel boring, but there was something urging me to read one page more until I finally finished it. That little something made me rate this a 3 not a 2. The plot and storyline were confusing and jumbled, I had no idea what was going on. But still, that "little something" makes me want to read the sequel, The Sweet Far Thing, and Rebel Angels.

Conclusion: A goodish book, but not a must read

Movie? - Yes, there's going to be a movie. Hopefully I can finish the series before the movie comes out. I hate when books are turned into movies while still reading the series, because my image of the characters and setting will be replaced with a movie-version, directors imagination image.

15 thoughts:

  1. OHH great review, I have been wondering about this one...it's good to know that it would be an ok book to pick up at the library :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. The characters don't seem all that great. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is actually my favorite series, but I love the time period so maybe that's why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great review...i kind of wanted to read it but then i read the summary and was like no...but it kept coming back...maybe its that little something you mentioned...anyway, this book is going to the bottom of my TBR list...

    can i ask a favour while im here? on your blog roll im still listed as the storytell and the link doesnt work :( could you pretty please up date it to storywings.blogspot.com ...thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review. :) I'm been meaning to read this book for sometime now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new layout...Great review

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book :) The other books are in a TBR pile, lol. The last book is like 700 pages long 0.0 !! Don't rush with the others, your not alone in being behind, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful review...I almost bought this the other day, but held off because I didn't know much about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review Kirthi.. I wasn't all too impressed with this book. So I didn't bother with the rest in the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed this series. But I think it is one of those series that you have to savor when reading or else you will miss a lot of details. In my opinion, these books are not quick reads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this series. But I think it is one of those series that you have to savor when reading or else you will miss a lot of details. In my opinion, these books are not quick reads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the review! I have yet to read this and I must admit my expectations for it are quite high!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked the series. But I agree, the characters and plot wasn't that great.
    *Spoiler*
    I got good after Gemma realized that the huntress was Circe.:]

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review. I really enjoy this series. Hope they do a good job with the film!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really loved this series but I think I got more into it when I read the second one and I felt they got better as the series went on. But great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger