The Demon's Lexicon

05 January 2010


Title: The Demon's Lexicon
Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Stars: 2
Review by Kirthi
Summary from Goodreads
Pages: 322

Nick and his brother, Alan, have spent their lives on the run from magic. Their father was murdered, and their mother was driven mad by magicians and the demons who give them power. The magicians are hunting the Ryves family for a charm that Nick's mother stole -- a charm that keeps her alive -- and they want it badly enough to kill again.

Danger draws even closer when a brother and sister come to the Ryves family for help. The boy wears a demon's mark, a sign of death that almost nothing can erase...and when Alan also gets marked by a demon, Nick is des-perate to save him. The only way to do that is to kill one of the magicians they have been hiding from for so long.

Ensnared in a deadly game of cat and mouse, Nick starts to suspect that his brother is telling him lie after lie about their past. As the magicians' Circle closes in on their family, Nick uncovers the secret that could destroy them all.

"Sarah Rees Brennan crafts a twisty tale full of surprises"
-Holly Black

My thoughts:
I was hoping this would be a great book, because of all the popularity, but sadly it wasn't. The events were jumbled up and confusing and it was hard to keep track. I agree with Holly Black: The Demon's Lexicon was twisty and confusing, and, in my opinion: poorly written. The relationship between Nick and his mother was one that I didn't understand at all, not even AFTER I finished reading! I didn't like any of the characters, not one. They were hard to relate to, and sadly, they weren't described as much as I would have liked them to have been. The characters weren't written as "likable"
The whole "demon" thing didn't work for me, and neither did the "magician" thing. I had no idea what the magicians were doing at all in the story until the very end. There was one similarity that this book shared with the City series by Cassandra Clare that I'll let you figure out (if you want to read it) about the appearance of demons. I could comprehend some of the action in the book (for one: dancing for demons?), Brennan did a bad job with detail, and explaining. Like I said earlier, it was hard to relate with anything at all in this book!
I was very relieved to finish this book, it was a pain to go on. I took frequent breaks while reading this, watched T.V, ate some soothing chocolate, napped etc... I don't think I've ever given a book 2 stars before, so this is my first!

Conlusion: Don't read, but you can if you want

Includes:
  • OKAY dialouge
  • confusing and quote "twisty"
  • blood
Disappointing. You may think I'm being harsh, which I think I am right now, but I'm just disappointed :(

12 thoughts:

  1. nice honest review! My sister is reading this book, so far it's good. I guess it all depends on what u like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep passing this and thinking about getting it and then I put it down and decide against it.

    Nice honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Review! I am now starting reading this book......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the honest review. I have seen the book appear on many lists . Will wait till my library gets it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. well boo! Now that's just unfortunate, as I've also heard so many awesome things about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love honest reviews. I have also heard many good things about this book too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard great things about this...wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. the place where the answerer above me said is a much better place to farm souls, and it's one of the more popular farming spots. In Chapter 4-2, after you beat the Adjudicator boss, go down the stairs from the Archstone, jump down from the ledge ahead, turn around and go down the long hallway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The World of the Demon's Lexicon. Don't Cross the Circle. Certain people in this world are born with magic. ... The demon and the human soul fight, and the body never lasts long...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do I get my keyboard to play through my computer speakers with Lexicon Alpha USB?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a Lexicon Omega and edit my music with Cubase LE 4 how do I get my music from my computer onto a cd?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come [again] unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger