My Childhood Favorites (1)

17 November 2009

I was browsing through Goodreads and I came across old favorites.

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein: My mom bought be this book when I was in 2nd grade and I fell in love with it immediately.
description:
"Once there was a tree ... and she loved a little boy." So begins a story Of unforgettable perception, beautifully written and illustrated by the gifted and versatile Shel Silverstein.

Every day the boy would come to the tree to eat her apples, swing from her branches, or slide down her trunk ... and the tree was happy. But as the boy grew older he began to want more from the tree, and the tree gave and gave and gave. This is a tender story, touched with sadness, aglow with consolation. Shel Silverstein has created a moving parable for readers of all ages that offers an affecting interpretation of the gift of giving and a serene acceptance of another's capacity to love in return.


If You Give A Mouse A Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff: I bought this book at the school book fair in elementary school, and I was entranced. I wouldn't let it go until I had memorized every word and picture

descriptionn: If a hungry little traveler shows up at your house, you might want to give him a cookie. If you give him a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. He'll want to look in a mirror to make sure he doesn't have a milk mustache, and then he'll ask for a pair of scissors to give himself a trim....

Also try:

  • If You Give a Pig a Pancakes
  • If you give a Moose a Muffin


Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans: I loved this cute little European girl and her classmates. I watched ALL the videos, all the cute symettrical children and the the lady who looked like a nun. Madeline is one of my favorites! I can still hear the theme song "Oh Madeline Oh Madeline!" The books were illustrated beautifully too! I thank my mom for introducing me to this book too!

description: Madeline is one of the best-loved characters in children's literature. Set in picturesque Paris, this tale of a brave little girl's trip to the hospital was a Caldecott Honor Book in 1940 and has as much appeal today as it did then. The combination of a spirited heroine, timelessly appealing art, cheerful humor, and rhythmic text makes Madeline a perennial favorite with children of all ages.


Corduroy by Don Freeman: I found this at my local library when I was little, and was fascinated. I used to make up Curduroy adventures in my head when I went to sleep!

description: Have you ever dreamed of being locked in a department store at night? The endearing story of Corduroy paints a picture of the adventures that might unfold (for a teddy bear at least) in such a situation. When all the shoppers have gone home for the night, Corduroy climbs down from the shelf to look for his missing button. It's a brave new world! He accidentally gets on an elevator that he thinks must be a mountain and sees the furniture section that he thinks must be a palace. He tries to pull a button off the mattress, but he ends up falling off the bed and knocking over a lamp. The night watchman hears the crash, finds Corduroy, and puts him back on the shelf downstairs. The next morning, he finds that it's his lucky day! A little girl buys him with money she saved in her piggy bank and takes him home to her room. Corduroy decides that this must be home and that Lisa must be his friend.

There are much too many favorites to post on this one post, so keep your eyes out for more favorites!

2 thoughts:

  1. I love these books! So classic. I have some fond memories of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger