kira-kira

23 October 2009

Title: kira-kira
Author: Cynthia Kadohata
Stars: 5+
Reveiw by Kirthi
Summary by book.

kira-kira (kee ra kee ra): glittering; shining

Glittering. That's how Katie Takeshima's sister, Lynn, makes everything seem. The sky is kira-kira because its color is deep but see-through at the same time. The sea is kira-kira for the same reason. And so are people's eyes. When Katie and her family move from a Japanese community in Iowa to the Deep South of Georgia, it's Lynn who explains to her why people stop on the street to stare. And it's Lynn who, with her special way of viewing the world, teaches Katie to look beyond tomorrow. But when Lynn becomes desperately ill, and the whole family begins to fall apart, it is up to Katie to find a way to remind them all that there is always something glittering --kira-kira-- in the future.

My thoughts:
This book made my cry, especially at the end. It touched me so much, the harsh reality of being poor in the U.S. in what I guess is in the 1800's. I love how Katie adores her older sister, how much Lynn means to her. Their sisterhood goes through difficulty, but in the end they stitch it back up. The cover. was. absolutely. touching.
The models were so amazing, how little Katie looks up to Lynn, the look of love on Lynn and Katies' face. They are like two halves in a whole. Their clothing is gorgeous and speaks volumes. I LOVE THIS COVER!!!

5 thoughts:

  1. I really liked this book too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh this book looks interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've received an award over at my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine reviewed this a few months ago and I bought the book, but I haven't looked at it since. You've renewed my excitement about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great, have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by: I truly love and enjoy reading your comments!

pages All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger